Basketball fans already missing the NBA can get a hoops fix tonight as the Washington Redskins hit Westminster to play a charity game against an all-star team comprised mainly of past county high school andcollege players.
The game, sponsored by the East End Athletic Club at the Westminster Inn, will take place at 7:30 p.m. at the Gill Center at Western Maryland College.
Proceeds will benefit underprivileged youths attending the Art Monk Football Camp this week at Western Maryland.
Among the Redskinsparticipating will be Monk, Alvin Walton, Clarence Vaughn, Walter Stanley and Brian Mitchell, along with a number of the team's top picksfrom the spring collegiate draft.
Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at The Westminster Inn or at the door.
In other sports this weekend:
* A pair of Carroll high school baseball standouts who recently graduated -- South Carroll's Chris Larrick and Liberty's Jeff Wagner -- will be participating in the Crown High School All-Star Gameat Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. The game is slated for 5:30 p.m. Sunday after the Orioles face the Boston Red Sox.
Wagner, a shortstop/pitcher, is a second-team All-Metro selection by The Sun and its Player of the Year for Carroll County. He batted .596 this spring for Liberty with 21 runs batted in, six doubles and 27 runs scored. He also had a 5-2 record on the mound with a 3.36 earned run average.
Larrick, a first baseman, was a first-team, All-Carroll County selection by The Sun. He batted .478 this spring with four doubles.
* TheSouth Penn League champion Taneytown Cardinals will play host to theSouth Penn League All-Star game at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Taneytown Memorial Park.
The SPL All-Star team (roster not complete at press time) will face nationally ranked Johnny's of Baltimore.
* In the Carroll County Unlimited Baseball League, Westminster Storm will playa pair at South Carroll High against Mount Airy, starting at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. North Carroll will visit Westminster Pool for a doubleheader Sunday at Landon Burns Park, also set for 1:30 p.m.
* Sykesville Baseball will wrap up its Senior (13-15 year olds) and Major (11-12) leagues with postseason finals starting at noon Saturday at Sykesville Baseball Field.
* The Carroll County Women's Softball League will have its annual all-star game with opening ceremonies starting at6:15 p.m. Friday at Springfield Hospital Center field in Eldersburg.
Representing the North squad, managed by Jay Stuller, will be players from Random House, Wild Stallions, Snydersburg, Killer Bees and Freedom Optimist Rebels. The South team will be managed by Dick Fogleand will feature players from Woodbine, Danny's, Westminster JC, Plunkert Construction and the Renegades.
* The South Carroll AthleticAssociation is having a men's double-elimination softball tournamentJune 29-30 at Oklahoma Park in Eldersburg.
The winner will receive a berth in this year's Slow-Pitch Softball Association State Class C Tournament.
* The Hampstead Softball Association is having a girls tournament Saturday and Sunday at Lions' Club Field.
The tournament will feature 12-and-under, 14-and-under and 16-and-under age groups.