In still another variation for deciding golf championships, Jim Pelisek is the new stroke play titleholder at Sparrows Point Country Club.
While winning the event for the second time, Pelisek posted a 54-hole total of 235, edging three opponents by a single stroke. The tournament format required contestants to play 27 holes on consecutive days. Sparrows Point is a 27-hole layout.
Chris Capone, Steve Bozel and Tom Kline all closed with 236 totals. Only a putting collapse on the final green prevented a playoff.
Pelisek came to the last hole holding a stroke advantage, but three-putted. Capone needed a par to tie the leader, but also three-putted. Bozel, the defending champion, needed a par.
Ray Haney won the first flight with a 525 total. Harry McCloskey took the second flight with 264.
There were mixed feelings on the 27-a-day format. Some felt it was too demanding. Others enjoyed using all 27 holes for the cometition.
Elsewhere in area golf:* Hillendale -- The brother combination of Jim and Mike Ball won the Member-Guest tournament, carding a 36-hole net score of 126. They were followed by Bill Doxanas and John Cousouris at 127 and Burt Cox and Bill Slasman at 128.
Low gross was led by the team of Ray Daue and Pat O'Malley with 141. Other leaders were Gary Lipski and Robert Salenbier at and Mike Camp and Frank Sanzaro at 149.
* Towson Golf -- Mel Kenney won the club's Senior Championship in a playoff with Fred Peightal. They originally tied with 36-hole totals of 155. Peightal took low net with 133.
155. Peightal took low net with 133.
Age divisional winners were (50-54)-Fred Koletar 160, (55-59)-Henry Marconi 165, (60-64)-Art Harduvel 157, (66 and over)-Tom Brooke 162.
* Bay Hills -- Members of the men's overall team winners for the season included John Clark, J.T. Little, Henry Oh and Ron Fudge, scoring 233. Those on the winning women's team, with a 229 total, were Sondra Carr, Marie Powell, Shirley Scott and Marilyn Smith.
* Wakefield -- Those teams that qualified for further play in the Oldsmobile Scramble event were: (62)-Dave Bittner, John Gallagher, Dale Fletcher and Edgar Rase; (62)-John Pentzer, G. Hibberd, Gary Watson and Joe Incapprera, and (63)-Gary Eckenrode, John Brandenburg, Russ Faulkner and Jack Winder. The qualifying low net team, with a 57 total, included George Tears, Dan Shipp, Bruce Coyle and Mike Holland.
Holes-in-one were scored by Jack Livermore on No. 8 white and by Jeff Webster on No. 8 gold.
* Winter's Run -- Bernie Callahan and Bob Steidle scored a winning 117 net score in the Member-Guest tournament. Low gross, with 131, went to the team of Glen Maynard and Duane Zechman.
* Md. Golf -- Foursome play was led by the team of Dave Kozak, Paul Albright, Bill Capallo and John Faber, scoring 124. Other leading teams were (125)-Wayne Carter, Jack Nichols, John Dunnigan and Peppi Senneth; and (125)-Scott Campbell, George Forbes, Gil Bresnick and Harry Rogers.
* C.C. of Md. -- Gary Matz and Lou Taylor won the Member-Guest tournament with a 119 net score. They were followed by Bob Booker and Bill Reulter 121 and Jack McGarvey and Dick McCallister 123. Low gross was won by Scott Hargest and Mike Anderson with 137.
Senior golfer Ed Morris became a two-time hole-in-one scorer when he aced the 13th hole yesterday.
* Piney Branch -- Leading net scores in the President's Cup tournament were Bill Hedrick 129 and Ed Cashman 137. Low gross leaders were Rob Schmid 141, Carol Gailey 145 and Charles Palmer 145.
* Chartwell -- Don Pette and Bob Cowan scored a 36-hole net score of 126 to win the Member-Guest tournament. Low gross went to the pair of Mike Drummond and Bunky Ebersberger with a 138 total. Flight winners included: John Irvine and Jim Hill 116, Joe Fitzgerald and Joel Wallenstrom 123, Rod Fowler and John Bradley 130 and Jim Davis and Michael Bisciotti 132.
In the women's division of the event, the winning 18-hole teams ** were Dana Haber and A. Clymer 61 and Joann Smith and Betty Jo Smith 62. The nine-hole leaders were Judy Ebersberger and Susan Coile 43 and Vera and Steffenie Murnane 48.
* Rolling Road -- Bob Slaght and Bob Bonnell captured the Member-Guest tourney, carding a gross score of 69. Low net leaders with 56 totals were Barry Burch and Ken Sipes and Larry Munson and Pete Bird.
Nick DeLuca's 79-16--63 and Guy Daniello's 87-24--63 tied for low net in the Crismer tourney. Low gross scorers were Mike Passarelo and Rick Sovero, both posting 73s.
The club's Scramble tournament went to the fivesome of Jim Witten, George Linder, Boyd Foster, Jim Cross and Dick Michocki, scoring 121. In the Nine-Hole mixed tourney, the teams of Alica and Bob Cohill and Judy Fumea and George Tankersley tied for low net with scores of 31. Low gross was shared by the combinations of Doris Linder and Craig Baader and Jean Barnes and Bob Holland, both with scores of 44.