Max P. Hughes, ex-insurance agent, dies at 73Services for...


June 24, 1991

Max P. Hughes, ex-insurance agent, dies at 73

Services for Max P. Hughes, a former insurance agent, will be held 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Bethesda United Methodist Church in Salisbury.

Mr. Hughes, 73, died Saturday at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center from burns he suffered in an accident at his home.

Born in Salisbury, he graduated from Wicomico High School in 1934 and received his bachelor's degree in business from Goldie Beacon College in Wilmington, Del.

He was an agent for Nationwide Insurance and a partner in his family's business, V. V. Hughes, for more than a half-century.

Mr. Hughes was a member and former chairman of the board and president of the Hebron Savings Bank, a founder and member of the board of directors for the Ward Foundation, a charter member and past president of the Rockawalkin Ruritan, and a member of the Greater Salisbury Committee.

He was a member of the Elks for more than 45 years and a member of the Green Hill Yacht and Country Club. He also served on many committees at the Bethesda United Methodist Church.

He was also an avid hunter and golfer.

Mr. Hughes is survived by his wife, the former Miriam Belackiston; two sons, Max P. "Pete" Hughes and Don B. Hughes; a brother, Ben C. Hughes; a sister, Jane H. White; three grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. All are of Salisbury.The family suggested donations to Bethesda United Methodist Church, 406 N. Division St., Salisbury, Md. 21801; or to the Ward Foundation's building fund, P.O. Box 3416, Salisbury 21801.

James M. Bennett

Retired carpenter

Services for James Mann Bennett, a retired carpenter, will be at 11 a.m. today at the Bounds Funeral Home in Salisbury.

Mr. Bennett, 69, of Upperco died Thursday of respiratory failure at Carroll County General Hospital.

Mr. Bennett lived most of his life in Mardela Springs, where he was born, and graduated from Mardela High School. He worked as a self-employed carpenter, building cabinets and furniture, and he worked on home remodeling projects on the Eastern Shore.

He moved to Upperco seven years ago when he married Edna Mae Lowe. An early marriage to Grace Budd ended in divorce.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by five daughters, Charlotte B. Litchford of Delmar, Brenda B. Raleigh of Millington, Bonnie B. Miller of Redondo Beach, Calif., and Beverly B. French and Sherry B. Shores, both of Salisbury; a son, Donald J. Bennett of Salisbury; two stepchildren, Wesley Mitchell and Joy M. Shirley, both of Delmar; his mother, Julia Phillips Bennett of Mardela; and a sister, Martha B. Owens of Fruitland.

The family suggests that memorial donations be made to the American Lung Association.

Ennis J. Biemiller

Former comptroller

Services for Ennis Johnson Biemiller, the longtime manager of a Baltimore trucking company, were held June 19 in Suffolk, Va.

Mr. Biemiller, a native of Brooklyn Park, died of lung cancer June 17 at his home in Chesapeake, Va. He was 75.

For more than 25 years, he was a manager for Southern Motor Transfer Co. in Baltimore before becoming comptroller for Industrial Supply Corp., where he worked until retiring in 1976. After his retirement, he and his wife of 52 years, the former Mary Duncan, settled in Chesapeake.

"Mostly, he liked photography," Mrs. Biemiller said. "He took pictures of nature and the grandchildren."

In addition to his wife, Mr. Biemiller is survived by a son, Ennis Duncan Biemiller of Thomasville, N.C.; a daughter, Mary Helen Neal of Chesapeake; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson. The family suggests that donations be made to the American Cancer Society.

Charles Groft

Auto mechanic

Services for Charles "Bud" Groft, a retired Westminster auto mechanic who had been battling back from a double-lung transplant last August, will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at St. John's Lutheran Church, 961 Leister's Church Road in Westminster.

Mr. Groft, 51, died Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital from an infection he developed following ulcer surgery.

Born in Westminster, Mr. Groft left high school to begin working as a mechanic at automotive shops. He worked for 17 years as yard manager of Condon's Auto Parts in Westminster and often spent his spare time tinkering with cars.

Mr. Groft loved horses and enjoyed riding "Echo," his albino horse who died in 1989 at the age of 23.

In the last few months of Mr. Groft's life, even while he struggled with health problems, he was hoping to find another horse to replace Echo.

In his 40s, Mr. Groft developed an enzyme deficiency in his lungs. His respiratory problems persisted, and in March 1990, he went to a St. Louis hospital for lung transplants.

After waiting four months for a suitable donor, doctors replaced his lungs during a 10-hour operation. In the following months, he never complained of lung problems again and even took up wood-carving in order to get his mind off cigarette smoking.

Despite the success of the lung operation, Mr. Groft developed ulcers from medication he took to fight organ rejection.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.