Construction Worker Falls From 30 Feet

Police beat

June 23, 1991

An Essex construction worker is in critical but stable condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center at University Hospital in Baltimore after a 25- to 30-foot fall at a Linthicum construction site Thursday.

John M. Lane, of the first block of Carvello Drive in Essex, was on a suspended steel beam attempting to fasten it onto the second story of a building in the 1500 block of West Nursery Road when it collidedwith another beam, knocking him to the ground, police said.

Lane, who was not wearing any safety restraints, was flown to shock trauma. His supervisor told police no restraints are required to work on the first two floors of a building.

Craig D. Lowry, chief of enforcement for the Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said "as ludicrous as it may seem, the regulations (say) steel erection contractors can legally expose their employees to falls between 25 and 30 feet."

Lowry said falls are the second leading cause of accidental death in America and 11 percent occur in the steel industry.


An 84-year-old Brooklyn woman was robbed at her table during a late lunch at a Ritchie Highway Denny's Wednesday.

Police said Helen Wysocki, of the 300 block of Pontiac Avenue, was eating lunch with her sister at about 3 p.m. when a man came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his hand, approached to the table and said "Don't scream, I have a gun." He grabbed her wallet, containing $13, and ran out the door.

A witness said he saw the suspect running in the direction of the MotorVehicle Administration.


An Edgewater woman was robbed in the Annapolis Mall parking lot Wednesday evening, police said.

Deborah L. Juwell, 21, of the 1600 block of Marble Road, told police two young men were following her around inside the mall Wednesday at about 7 p.m. She believed they were the samemen who jumped her as she walked to the mall's overflow lot off Bestgate Road.

One of the men threatened to punch her in the face if she didn't give up her jewelry, then snatched $65 she was holding in her hand. Juwell said she lost $800 in cash and jewelry.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.