Lewis E. Robertson
Services for Lewis E. Robertson, a retired Essex machinist, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Connelly Funeral Home, 300 Mace Ave. in Essex.
Mr. Robertson, 73, died Thursday at Franklin Square Hospital olung cancer.
Born in Bedford, Va., he came to the Baltimore area in 1941. He was a machinist for several companies, including Glen L. Martin Co., Crown Cork & Seal Co. Inc. and Middle River Machine Service.
An avid photographer, Mr. Robertson once owned a photography studio on Eastern Avenue in Essex. He also enjoyed archery and was a member of Moose Home Lodge No. 768.
Mr. Robertson is survived by a daughter, India Schor of Fort Walton Beach, Fla.; two sisters, Lois Waddel of Bedford and Burta Maldanoda of Dayton, Wash.; a grandson; and a granddaughter.
The family suggested contributions to the American Cancer Society.
Stella M. Hughes
Former art teacher
Graveside services for Stella M. Hughes, a former art teacher, artist and hairdresser, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Moreland Memorial Park Cemetery, 1601 Taylor Ave.
Mrs. Hughes, a former Parkville resident, died June 14 after an long illness at her home in Orlando, Fla., where she had lived since August. She was 86.
The former Stella Mason attended Baltimore public schools. She attended Southern High School until age 16, when she began to train at the Maryland Institute College of Art. Later, she took painting lessons from Maryland artists Stanislav Rembski, Frank Redelius, Melvin Miller and Anne Schuler.
In 1925, she married Howard A. Hughes, who died in 1981.
In 1947, Mrs. Hughes, an expert in marcelling -- a technique that puts deep waves in women's hair -- was a hairdresser at the Charles Beauty Shop. She taught oil painting from 1951 to 1981, first at her Calvert Street home, then at the Parkville home where she moved in 1962.
Mrs. Hughes is survived by a son, Howard Hughes of Parkville; a daughter, Adele Powell of Lake Mary, Fla.; a sister-in-law, Mildred A. Hughes of Orlando, Fla.; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be sent to Trinity 2000, Trinity Episcopal
Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson, Md. 21204.
Mary L. Waldron
Homemaker and poet
A Mass of Christian burial will be held for Mary L. Waldron, a homemaker who wrote poetry, at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Sacred Heart Church, 5800 Smith Ave. in Mount Washington.
Mrs. Waldron, a former Roland Park resident and the mother of Harford County Circuit Judge Stephen M. Waldron, died Friday after a long stroke-related illness at Stella Maris Hospice. She was 75.
Mrs. Waldron was fond of writing religious and inspirational poetry for her parish newspaper. She also was active with the parish and its school.
Mrs. Waldron graduated from Eastern High School in 1933. She was a secretary for a time.
Besides Judge Waldron, Mrs. Waldron is survived by her husband of 51 years, Herbert P. Waldron of Roland Park; two other sons, Dr. John P. Waldron of Conway, S.C., and Robert C. Waldron of Timonium; a daughter, Kathleen M. Shanahan of Westerly, R.I.; a sister, Ruth K. Ruby of Baltimore; five
grandsons; and four granddaughters.
Edward S. Hatch Sr.
World War II veteran
Edward Spring Hatch Sr., a World War II veteran, died Sunday of heart failure at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Fort Howard. He was 80.
Mr. Hatch, the son of an Army general, moved to Laurel from his native West Point, N.Y., when he was 14. He graduated from Laurel High School in 1930 and was a graduate of the Maryland Institute College of Art. He studied accounting at Strayer Business College in the District of Columbia, where he met Nan Wheeler, whom he married in 1934.
In 1939, he began working for the General Accounting Office in Washington, where he stayed until 1952. Mr. Hatch joined the Army National Guard in 1934 and asked to become active at the start of World War II in 1941.
During his European service, he was in the Belgian town Saint-Vith in the Ardennes Forest during the Battle of the Bulge. He received the European Campaign medal with three battle clusters, the Victory Medal, the American Campaign service medal and the American Defense Service medal. He rose to the grade of lieutenant colonel before his discharge in 1946.
After his tour of duty, Mr. Hatch moved to Millersville. In 1952, he began operating Hatch's on the Severn, a small marina near his home. He ran the marina for 10 years. He was a postman for the Millersville Post Office from 1956 to 1966, when he retired to Daytona Beach, Fla.
He returned to Maryland in 1990 after a stroke.
Services are private.