Birds give Hemond 2-year contract extension

June 12, 1991

Well, Doug Melvin and Frank Robinson both will have to wait because Orioles general manager Roland Hemond isn't going anywhere.

Hemond, 61, who some thought would be asked to step down when his contract expired after this season, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Orioles that will keep him in the front-office picture at least through the 1993 season.

Hemond confirmed today that his extension had been offered and signed and said he is grateful for the support in light of the club's disappointing showing this season.

"It's an indication of their faith in me, and that we will continue to pursue our daily business as we have been," Hemond said, referring to last week's disclosure by owner Eli Jacobs that he is considering selling the Orioles.

"It's been my experience that ballclubs are not sold very quickly, if at all. I'm grateful that Eli Jacobs, Larry [team president Lucchino] and Sargent Shriver continue to show their faith in me."

The extension means that Melvin, the assistant general manager of player personnel, and Robinson, the recently deposed manager who has since joined the front office also as assistant general manager, will have to look elsewhere for GM jobs or be patient. Two new teams, Denver and Miami, are scheduled to be added to the National League in 1993.

In the meantime, Hemond is confident the team -- which finished fifth in 1990 and is currently in the AL East basement -- will improve.

"We're marching forward day by day and trying to get the job done," he said. "This is very gratifying. It's an indication of the type of people we're working for."


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.