Russell S. MellingerAmtrak conductorServices for Russell...


June 12, 1991

Russell S. Mellinger

Amtrak conductor

Services for Russell S. Mellinger, who retired in 1980 as a passenger conductor for Amtrak, then maintained his interest in railroads as a member of the board of the Stewartstown Railroad, will be held at 11 a.m. today at St. John's Lutheran Church in New Freedom, Pa.

Mr. Mellinger, who was 70 and moved from Lutherville to New Freedom in 1985, died Sunday of cancer at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

A native of Lancaster, Pa., he began working for the Pennsylvania Railroad 45 years before his retirement.

He was in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

He also was a volunteer conductor on the Stewartstown Railroad, a tourist and freight line that runs between Stewartstown and York.

In addition, he did volunteer work for more than 4,000 hours at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after his retirement.

He is survived by his wife, the former Loretta C. Mays; two sons, Russell S. Mellinger Jr. of Lutherville and R. Scott Mellinger of New Freedom; a daughter, Peggy L. Cook of Dallastown, Pa.; a sister, Hope Harple of Lancaster; a brother, Charles F. Mellinger of Pasadena; and three grandchildren.

Maxine Hollander

Braille transcriber

A memorial service for Maxine Hollander, a volunteer who transcribed books into Braille, will be held at 1 p.m. today in the Gordon Chapel of the Oheb Shalom Congregation, 7310 Park Heights Ave.

Mrs. Hollander, who was 75, died Saturday of cancer at her home in Pikesville.

She won a distinguished service award from the Red Cross for her volunteer work as a transcriber and did the same work as a volunteer for the Library of Congress.

The former Maxine Sittenfeld, was a native of Kansas City, Mo. She graduated from Notre Dame de Sion High School there and, in 1936, from Wellesley College.

She came to Baltimore in 1938 after her marriage to Morton J. Hollander, a retired partner in the law firm of Gordon, Feinblatt, Rothman, Hoffberger and Hollander.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include two daughters, Susan Sidel of Wellesley, Mass., and Nancy Kane of Newton, Mass.; a twin sister, Marion Mnookin of Kansas City; and four grandchildren.

Graveside services were held Sunday at the Sharon Memorial Park in Boston, near the homes of her daughters.

Dr. Primitiva R. Ong

Retired psychiatrist

A Mass of Christian burial for Dr. Primitiva R. Ong, a retired psychiatrist who also had been a medical school professor, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 8420 Belair Road in Fullerton.

Dr. Ong, who was 73, died Sunday at the home of a daughter on Woodfall Road in Perry Hall where she had lived for about a year.

She retired in 1983 as a psychiatrist at the Columbus State Hospital in Ohio after working there and at hospitals in Michigan, Indiana andIowa since coming to this country from the Philippines in 1970.

The former Primitiva Rodriguez earned her undergraduate and medical degrees at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, where she also later taught.

Her husband, Dr. Ignacio B. Ong, died in 1983.

She is survived by seven daughters, Benedicta Lizardo of Perry Hall, Myriam Capati of Miami, Resurreccion Cardona of Riverside, Calif., Julieta Virtrudes of Clifton, Va., Melinda Dela Rosa of Indianapolis; Freida Munteanu of Endwell, N.Y., and Rosemarie Brown of Harrison, N.J.; a son, Gerardo Ong of Los Angeles; and a brother, Monsignor Alfredo Rodriguez of the Philippines.

Margaret Thiebes

Was food-stand owner

Services for Margaret Thiebes, retired owner of a stand in the Lexington Market that sold food imported from Germany and Scandinavia, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Howard H. Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.

Mrs. Thiebes, who was 93, died Sunday at a nursing home in Englewood, Fla., after being injured in a fall. She had lived in Englewood and most recently in Port Charlotte, Fla., since leaving the Catonsville area in 1984.

She and her husband, Konrad Thiebes, who died in 1955, started the stand named for him in 1951, and she operated it from his death until her retirement in 1968.

From 1939, when they first came to Baltimore, until 1949, they operated a confectionery store in West Baltimore, known as Thiebes' Variety.

They came to this country in 1928 shortly after their marriage and had a similar store in Harrington Park, N.J., until moving to Baltimore.

The former Margaret Schmitz was a native of Cologne, Germany, and worked as an apprentice in a gourmet food store there until she began operating her own shop at age 21.

She is survived by a son, George K. Thiebes of Englewood; a daughter, Margaret T. Tiralla of Milford, N.H.; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Charles G. Thomas

Retired truck driver

Services for Charles G. Thomas, a retired truck driver for a concrete and stone products company, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

Mr. Thomas, who was 76, died Sunday of a respiratory illness at his home on Molesworth Road in Parkton.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.