With his younger brother out of contention, winning the Stroke Play championship at Towson Golf and Country Club was a snap for H.T. Brown.
Before Moose Brown joined the pro ranks earlier this season, the best H.T. could gain was runner-up honors. In fact, the last time they met, Moose edged H.T. 1-up in the club Match Play title test that went 38 holes.
This time, however, with his brother now holding a pro job in York, Pa., H.T. breezed to an eight-stroke triumph, posting a 54-hole total of 219. For whatever satisfaction it gave H.T., his rounds of 75, 70 and 74 were even better than any winning effort in the past by Moose.
Jack Soliman stayed close to H.T. for the first two rounds, but first two rounds, but fell behind after the leader birdied the seventh, eighth and ninth holes in the third round. Both Soliman and Paul Nauman closed with 277 totals.
Other flight winners were Tom Brooke 240, Art Hardivul 241, Guy Mealy 251, Jerry Schizzino 255, Chris Mehiel 264, Lou Bertazon 265, Bud Frank 276 and Ferdinand Rodriguez 293.
Elsewhere in area golf;
Chartwell: There was a tie in both the gross and net divisions of the Mini-Member tournament. Leading low gross teams were: 67-Paul Latta, Gary Rivers, Michael Ewing and Tony Hawkins; 67-Paul Dittner John Novotny, Alex Lohmann and Charles Benedeto. Tied with net scores of 55 were the foursomes of Terry Murray, Dave Doody, Bill Allen and Chuck Nossick and Gordon Smith, Blinn Salisbury, Hugh Stevenson and Chuck Collier.
* Bay Hills: Larry Fontz and Jim Riddle were winners in two-man team play, carding 52. Winners in the women's division, also with a score of 52, were Kay Styles and Liz Ruark.
* Rolling Road: The Am-Ham tourney was won by the foursome of Jim Pfrogner, Bob Holland, Boyd Foster and Mike Sunderland, scoring 112. Second place with 116 was the team of Earl Seth Sr., Mike Andrew, Bill Davis and Mac Moore.
Leaders in the mixed two-ball event were Sue Sosnowski and Suhdi Chinstrisna with 80-15--65 and Nova Traunig and George Linder with 81-16--65. Low gross was won by Kanya Chinstrisna and Jamie Kopper with 79.
* Turf Valley: A playoff is scheduled to decide the club's Senior Championship. Dick Breen and Dick Brawley tied with winning 156 scores for 36 holes. Age division winners were: (50-54)-Bob Johnson 157, (55-59)-Dick Brawley 156, (60-64)-Lou Miller 168, (65-70)-Dick Breen 156, (71 and over)-Jim LaHart 163. Lou Bosse led the net division with 139.
* Wakefield: Bob Blubaugh Sr. and Jr., won the 18-hole division of the Parent-Child tournament, scoring 73. Low net went to Todd and LaMotte Eckenrode with 65. The combinations of Craig and Christian Jennings and Jim Miller Sr. and Jr., scored 46 to tie for low net in the Nine Hole division. Ken and Anne Kacmarski were next with 53.
* Suburban: Leading teams in the Jerome D. Grant two-day Nine Hole competition were Sol Goodman and Lou Singer 66, Jerry Cullen and Alan Hecht 66 and Moses Morris and Myron Ottenheimer 67.
* Hunt Valley: Dan and Tim Walko won the 15-17 age limit in the club's Parent-Child tourney. Other divisional winners were (13-14)-Ted and Craig Zabora and (10-under)-Steve Kolnitis Sr. and Jr.
* C.C.-Md.: Alan Anthony defeated Doug Heisey 2 and 1 in the Spring Handicap final. Other flight winners were Ed Nordberg, Al Mank, Larry Storck, George Marin, John Clairborn and Bob Benson. Two teams posted winning scores of 58 in the fivesome competition. Those on the winning teams were Scott Hargest, John Miller, Bill Fisher, Sam Wright, Ed Barczak, Charles Stouffer, David Belcher, Bernie Appel, Howard Garrett and Dick Hartman.
In the mixed two-ball tourney, the leaders were: 68-Mike and Leigh Farrell and Neil and Sue Trucker; 68-Larry Storck and Chris Owens and Dave and Sue Wooton. Low net with 52 went to Tom and Barbara Wagner and Rod and Mary Beth Norris.
Fran Fich scored a hole-in-one on the 13th hole.
* Piney Branch: Carol and Brian Gailey scored a gross 65 to win the Parent-Son tournament. Low net was won by George and Scott Knouse with 57.
* Hillendale: Leaders in the mixed two-ball tourney were 58-Hector DiNardo and Emma Hernandez, 61-Craig Unruh and Jean Cox, 61-Harry Pappas Sr. and Jan Cavagna and 62-Ken Wright and Sue Dimond.
* Forest Park: Audrey Brown's 85 led scores in the Pitch and Putt club tourney. She was followed by Melessia Frazer 86 and Ettna Boothe 88. Low net went to Clem Aquilea with 68.
Winners in the men's division were Charles Whitt 74, Charles Majett 78 and Walter Rivers 78. Net scores were paced by Steve McCray 77-15--62 and Fred Gartner 78-14--64.
* Woodholme: Fred Mackler and Dan Liebfeld won the Spring Handicap Tournament. Doug Carton and Bob Schulman were second.
* Md. Golf: The team of Don Haviland and Scott Campbell shared top honors with Bill Shrader and Jim Griffin in the two-man team event. Both teams had net 59. Winners of the mixed two-ball were Cathy O'Neil and Mark Moffitt 58, Olga Godfrey and Lee Grantham 59 and Sandy Peltz and Doug Barrett 62.