Cutbacks in arts funding force Res MusicAmerica to halt series

May 29, 1991|By Eric Siegel *

Res MusicAmerica, a principal local presenter of contemporary music during the last 11 years, will not present a concert series next season because of cutbacks in private and government funding for the arts.

The organization, which had an annual budget of about $40,000, found it "extremely difficult" to get corporate funding in the current recession, administrator Nancy Hoffman said yesterday. At the same time, Ms. Hoffman said, foundation and government support was declining. She cited a recent grant from the National Endowment for the Arts of $6,200, down from $10,000 the year before.

"Increasingly this year and last year more and more of our time was devoted to fund raising," Ms. Hoffman said. Res MusicAmerica, which staged six concerts around the state this past season, hopes to "regroup" and mount a 1992-'93 season, she said.

Founded as Res Musica Baltimore in 1980 by composer Vivian Adelberg Rudow, the group has presented nearly 300 works by 160 composers.

Ms. Rudow, who was in Cuba participating in an International Electroacoustic Music Festival, said in a statement the organization took "pride in being [on] the cutting edge of music."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.