4th suspect is charged in man's beating

May 27, 1991|By Michael James

A man who investigators believed threw the first punch in the baseball bat beating near Patterson Park has been charged with attempted murder after surrendering to police.

Andre Demetrius Flythe, 19, of the 1100 block of Montpelier Street, was suspected of "being the one who threw out the first punch" in the May 17 attack on Expedito "Pedro" Lugo, said Dennis S. Hill, a Baltimore police spokesman.

Mr. Flythe, who was being held without bond at the City Jail, is the fourth suspect charged in connection with the beating.

"His name came up four or five days ago during the course of the investigation," Mr. Hill said. Police obtained an arrest warrant for Mr. Flythe on Friday. He turned himself in at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the Southeastern District police station, Mr. Hill said.

Mr. Lugo, of the 400 block of North Kenwood Avenue, was allegedly beaten with his own baseball bat after several youths surrounded him in the eastern edge of the park. He was still in critical condition yesterday with a fractured skull at Johns Hopkins Hospital, hospital officials said.

Police said they do not believe Mr. Flythe struck the victim with the baseball bat.

Two 15-year-olds, Keith Robinson of the 1000 block of North Collington Avenue and James I. Holley III of the 2500 block of Ashland Avenue, were charged as adults last week with assault with intent to murder and assault. A 13-year-old has been charged as a juvenile.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.