* It certainly doesn't pay to fall behind in the late innings in the Los Angeles area. The Dodgers and Angels -- who play just 25 miles apart were 25-for-25 in save opportunities before last night's Angels game.
* Royals interim manager Bob Schaefer said he knew he was not long for the job. "I think I have a multi-hour contract," he said when he was given the job. Hal McRae replaced him Friday.
* Dodgers OF Darryl Strawberry has 3 HRs in 5 at-bats at the Astrodome this year. The Astros have 4 HRs there in 21 games.
* Mariners 1B Pete O'Brien entered last night's game leading the club with 5 HRs and 25 RBI. He hit only 5 HRs all last year (106 games) and had only 27 RBI.
* The Cardinals made only 6 errors in their first 17 games of May.
* Right-hander Bob Welch has pitched the only 2 complete games by the Athletics pitching staff. Both were losses.
* The Tigers' Paul Gibson has 4 saves in his past 12 games. He had three in his previous 132 major-league appearances.
* The Yankees bullpen has 1 save opportunity fewer than any other major-league team has saves. That proves that the club does not miss free-agent defector Dave Righetti, since he wouldn't have gotten much of a chance to pitch anyway.
* The Indians have made 8 roster moves involving 16 players since May 11.
* Tigers starting pitchers entered last night's game with 84 strikeouts. Tigers hitters have struck out an AL-high 277 times. The Padres lead the majors with 285 strikeouts, but have played 2 more games.
* The 4 errors by Cal Ripken in May are the most he has made in any month since August 1988, when he made 6.