WESTMINSTER -- County residents were among the 281 students awarded bachelor's degrees and 69 graduate students receiving master's degrees at the 121st commencement ceremonies at Western Maryland CollegeMay 18:
* Eldersburg -- Michelle L. Fleming, B.A.; Kristen M. Welsh, B.A.
* Finksburg -- Michele R. Amrhein, M.S.; Tina R. Fleming,B.A., cum laude; Catherine B. Paulson, B.A., summa cum laude; Michael A. Sabo, B.A.; Carol A. Sterner, B.A.
FOR THE RECORD - Because of incorrectly provided information, the name of a Western Maryland College student inducted into Phi Sigma Iota, the international foreign language honorary society, was misspelled last Sunday. Dana M. Robertson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Fangmeyer of Westminster, was one of nine undergraduates inducted into the WMC Beta Alpha Chapter.
* Hampstead -- Elizabeth A. List, B.A., magna cum laude; Tracey L. Snyder, B.A.
* Manchester-- Sharon E. Miller, B.A., cum laude.
* Mount Airy -- Dennis A. Cario, M.S.; Debra L. Farnin, M.S.; Sandra L. Jenkins, B.A.; Edward S.Kurz, B.A., summa cum laude; Robin C. Szymanski, M.S.
* New Windsor -- Nina L. Baylin, B.A., magna cum laude.
* Sykesville -- Judith A. Babylon, M.S.; Mary L. Garner, B.A., magna cum laude; Brian L. Haight, B.A.; Kevin A. Mayer, B.A.; Cynthia S. Teesdale, M.S.; CynthiaL. Welch, B.A., cum laude.
* Westminster -- Arthur A. Anderson, B.A.; Julie E. Baile, B.A., summa cum laude, distinction as College Scholar; Kathleen A. Bare, B.A., summa cum laude; Patrick L. Blackman, B.A., summa cum laude; Rosanna P. Bryson, B.A., summa cum laude; Diane J. Byus, B.A., cum laude; Allison B. Coffey, B.A.; Kelly A. Connell, M.S.; Robert J. Downer, B.A.; Stephanie L. Embrey, B.A., cum laude;M. Lorraine Fogle, M.S.; David M. Fyfe, B.A.; Eric C. Gettemy, B.A.;Michele M. Gibbs, M.S.; Bonnie J. Grady, B.A., cum laude; Thomas H. Harbold, B.A.; Kristine M. Hartlaub, B.A.; Robin D. Hoff, B.A., cum laude; Angela J. Hoffman, M.S.; John R. Johnson, B.A.; Judith L. Johnson, M.S.; James E. Kays, B.A.; Helen E. Lowe, B.A., summa cum laude; Patricia L. McClintock, B.A., summa cum laude; Tracie L. Myers, B.A.,magna cum laude; Joyce A. Resetar, B.A.; Melissa M. Robbins, M.S.; Dana M. Robertson, B.A.; Mary A. Rock, B.A., cum laude; Mark W. Ryan, B.A.; Virginia A. Story, B.A., magna cum laude; Jill B. Thomas, M.S.;Lisa A. Tonti, B.A., cum laude; Anne J. Tuccitto, M.S.; Amy B. Vodraska, B.A.; John M. Weaver, B.A.; Robert W. Wedge, M.S.; David B. Wetherson, B.A.
* Woodbine -- Jacqueline S. Talley, B.A.
8 COUNTIANS GRADUATE
ST. MARY'S CITY -- Eight Carroll County residents were among the 306 students who graduated May 11 from St. Mary's College, receiving bachelor of arts degrees.
The Class of 1991, including students from 13 states, the District of Columbia and South Africa, was the largest in the college's 151-year history.
Ben Bradlee, executive editor of the Washington Post, served as commencement speaker.
The countians who were graduated, with their majors, were:
* Millers: Jennifer L. Protzman, biology.
* Mount Airy: Thomas B. Neff, anthropology/sociology, and Stephanie L. Scheel, art.
* Sykesville:Beth A. Baillet, psychology; Michael J. Nottingham, language and literature; and Andrea L. Saum, psychology.
* Taneytown: Charles G. Griebel IV, anthropology/sociology.
* Woodbine: Charlotte E. Dunigan, natural science, cum laude, Honors Program participation.
NEW WINDSOR GRADUATE
NEW WINDSOR -- R. Joseph Snader graduated May 12 fromBridgewater College, Bridgewater, Va., with a bachelor's degree in economics and English.
During his four years at the college, he wasa member of the varsity tennis team, jazz band, Phi Beta Lamba Business Club and the Economics Club. This past academic year, he toured Australia with Academic Travels Abroad.
Snader is on the dean's list for the spring 1991 semester with a 3.4 grade-point average and is included on the national dean's list.
He is a graduate of Francis Scott Key High School and the son of Richard and Trudy Snader.
9 STUDENTS INDUCTED
WESTMINSTER -- Nine Western Maryland College students recently were inducted into Phi Sigma Iota, the international foreign language honor society.
The Western Maryland College Beta Alphachapter, founded in 1990, is the 184th chapter in the society, whichhas more than 16,000 members. Induction into Phi Sigma Iota represents the highest academic honor in the field of foreign languages.
The inductees were:
Dana M. Robinson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Fangmeyer of Westminster; Jennifer L. Dean, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William P. Dean of Frederick; Maria A. Lafferty, daughter of Christine M. Lafferty of Baltimore; Elise Rosen, daughter of Marsha Rosen of Randallstown; Kevin D. Wolters, son of Dr. and Mrs. Raymond Wolters of Newark, Del.; Dirk P. Visser, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marinus J. Visser of Plantation, Fla.; Guido F. Stubenrauch, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eberhard Stubenrauch of Jarrettsville; Claudia L. Henemyre, daughter ofJunior L. Henemyre of Havre de Grace; and Julie I. Cohen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David H. Cohen of Reisterstown.
In order to be inducted into Phi Sigma Iota, students must have taken foreign language classes through the junior-year level and must have a 3.0 average in their foreign language work as well as a 3.0 overall average.