The top two positions of command in the U.S. Naval Academy's 4,300-member brigade of midshipmen will be filled next semester by midshipmen Julianne Gallina of Pelham, N.Y., and Daniel Truckenbrod of Sycamore, Ill.
As brigade commander, Gallina will have the rank of midshipman captain and will be responsible for the daily military activities and performance of the brigade.
Most visible in parades, ceremonies and daily formations, she will also perform administrative functions and will be the key link in the chain of command between the midshipmen and officers.
Gallina is an English honors major with minors in French and Spanish. During the fall semester 1990, she served as an intern at the U.S. Naval Institute in Annapolis, learning the publishing process while taking a course load of 16 semester hours at the academy. Last semester, she wasa delegate to the Corbin Seminar, a discussion of women's issues that rotates annually among the different service academies. Gallina continues to work on a number of projects for the seminar, which was sponsored by the Naval Academy last October and will take place at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., in October.
As deputy brigade commander with the rank of midshipman commander, Truckenbrod will assist Gallina in handling administrative details involved in the daily operation of the brigade.
The deputy runs the brigade staff,handles special projects like the combined federal campaign, meets academy guests and helps find solutions to brigade problems.
This summer, Truckenbrod will be deputy regimental commander, the midshipman who is second in command of the military indoctrination of approximately 1,130 plebes.
A systems engineering major, Truckenbrod has been on the superintendent's list for five semesters. The superintendent's list recognizes midshipmen who have high grades in military, academic and athletic performance.
MIKULSKI NAMES BANDY
Robert C. Bandy, son of retired Cmdr. Robert and Carolyn Bandy of North East, was recently appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy by Senator Barbara A. Mikulski.
Bandy is a 1990 graduate of North East High School in Cecil County and has attended the Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J., for one year in preparation for the Naval Academy.
His father is a 1966 graduate of the Naval Academy.
Bandy is the grandson of Evelyn and Steve Bandy of Edgemere, and Audrey Hanna of Catonsville, Baltimore County.
7 COMPLETE TRAINING
The following area service personnelrecently completed basic military training:
* Private Bryan W. Riley, son of Harry G. and Mary F. Riley of Hanover, completed trainingat Fort Jackson, S.C. He is a 1989 graduate of Meade High School.
* Airman Matthew P. Edwards, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sewell Edwards of Edgewater, completed training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
* Private Carolyn A. Baker completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C. Sheis a 1986 graduate of Broadneck Senior High School.
* Army National Guard Private William D. Grimes, son of William D. Grimes of Odenton and Mary K. Grimes of Baltimore, completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C.
* Private Shawn L. Copeland, son of Wanda C. Wood of Landover, completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C. He is a 1988 graduate of Annapolis Senior High School.
* Airman David C. Taylor, son of Samuel J. Taylor Sr. of Arnold and Donna M. Robertson of Washington, completed training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
* Private David J. Blake Jr., son of David J. and Sharleen D. Blake of Arnold, completed training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. He is a 1990 graduate of Broadneck High School.
HOME FROM THE MIDEAST
The following area servicemen recently returned from deployment to the Middle East in support of Operation Desert Storm:
* Navy Airman Bruce H. Smith, son of Bruce A. and Michelle M. Smith of Glen Burnie. He is a 1988 graduate of Glen Burnie Senior High School.
* Navy Lt. Dennis J. Sinnett, who served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. He is a 1982 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy.
* Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Steven L. Phares, son of Barbara J. Phares of Baltimore. He is a 1980 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute High School.
* Navy Cmdr. Thomas E. Zelibor, who served with Fighter Squadron-32, Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach, Va. He is a 1976 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Warren D. Jones, sonof Walter V. and Inez Jones of Baltimore. He is a 1986 graduate of Southern High School.
* Navy Lt. j.g. Neale R. Ellis, who served onthe guided missile cruiser, USS San Jacinto. He is a 1984 graduate of Annapolis Senior High School.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Michael J. Herman, who served aboard the guided missile destroyer, USS Sampson. He is a 1987 graduate of Meade Senior High School.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Kirk W. Moyer, son of Wayne and Sharon K. Moyer of Pasadena. He is a 1983 graduate of Northeast High School.