3 men die overnight in shootings across city, one after 25 shots fired Bodies found on streets, in parked car

no arrests made, police say.

May 22, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff Joe Nawrozki contributed to this story.

Three men were fatally shot in separate incidents last night and early today in the city, including a 29-year-old man who was gunned down during a chase through several Reservoir Hill streets and alleys in which at least 25 shots were fired.

Police have made no arrests in the slayings.

Shortly before 1 a.m. today in Reservoir Hill, Quentin Curtis Love, of the 4800 block of Midline Road, was pursued by a gunman along streets and alleys until he was shot in the back with a handgun in front of a house in the 2400 block of Callow Ave., police said.

Bullets hit at least four cars, police said.

Homicide Detective Donald Waltmeyer said the chase began in the 700 block of Druid Park Lake Drive and ended three blocks away.

Love died at 1:42 a.m. at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Waltmeyer said that police, in following the route Love took in his vain attempt to flee the killer, found 25 shell casings, apparently from a 9mm semiautomatic handgun or an Uzi-style machine gun.

Police also found along the route several capsules containing suspected cocaine.

Waltmeyer said an unfired .22-caliber revolver was in Love's pocket.

Shortly after 1 a.m. today in the 700 block of George St., police responding to a report of a shooting found the body of a man slumped over the steering wheel of a gold 1987 Nissan 300ZX convertible.

Homicide Detective David Brown said the victim was Damon Peterson, 21, of no known address. Peterson died from multiple gunshot wounds to the head and upper body.

Brown said the car was not registered to the victim. He said police have located the owner of the car but are not disclosing the owner's name or why the victim was driving it.

Brown said there was no clear motive for the slaying.

About 10:20 p.m., police responding to a report of a shooting found the body of Walter Bruce Ransom, 35, near a gutter in the 1600 block of E. Oliver St.

Ransom, of the 3600 block of Delverne Road, had been shot at least once in the back and was pronounced dead at the scene by the crew of a city Fire Department ambulance, Waltmeyer said.

The detective said there were no signs that Ransom was slain during a robbery. Several residents of the area were questioned about the shooting but were unable to provide police with any information, Waltmeyer said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.