* Padres starter Eric Nolte probably pitched himself back to the minor leagues in his past 3 starts. He totaled 4 2/3 innings and allowed 17 earned runs on 16 hits and 5 walks. Batters hit .615 against him during that period.
* When the White Sox dropped to 15-15 the other day, it was the first time they had dropped to .500 since April 26, 1990. The last time they were below .500 was the final day of the 1989 season.
* Boston DH Jack Clark had 37 strikeouts (and only 3 home runs) in his first 104 at-bats for the Red Sox.
* Newly promoted Padres 3B Scott Coolbaugh had as many hit (5) in his first 5 games with the Padres as veteran Jim Presley has all year.
* Reds reliever Rob Dibble can throw the ball over the plate when he isn't for throwing it into the stands. He had 30 strikeouts in his first 18 innings.
* The Braves have had 23 consecutive losing months, dating to a 16-12 May in 1987. They had a shot at breaking that string in April, but lost their last 3 games. This month, they are 9-4 with 14 games to play.
* Dodgers P Orel Hershiser did not give up a run or hand out a
walk in his first 10 innings (2 starts) on a minor-league injury rehabilitation assignment.
* Brewers left-hander Teddy Higuera, who is recovering from yet another arm injury, threw 3 perfect innings in a Class A exhibition game. He will begin his rehabilitation assignment today at Class AAA Denver.