3rd seed Sampras loses in Italian OpenPete Sampras, the...

Sports briefly

May 16, 1991

3rd seed Sampras loses in Italian Open

Pete Sampras, the U.S. Open champion, lost to Fabrice Santoro, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, in the second round of the Italian Open yesterday in Rome, leaving the tournament without its top four seeds.

Sampras, seeded third, was the only one of the top four to survive the first round. No. 2 Andre Agassi and No. 4 Goran Ivanisevic lost their openers, and No. 1 Boris Becker withdrew due to an injury.

Sampras was one of five seeds to fall yesterday.

Alberto Mancini of Argentina, who won in 1989 but had to qualify this year, fought off five match points in the second set of his 2-hour, 20-minute match with No. 7 Jonas Svensson and won, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.

In other matches, Goran Prpic beat No. 13 Jakob Hlasek, 6-1, 7-5; Henri Leconte beat No. 14 Magnus Gustafsson, 6-0, 6-3; and South African qualifier Wayne Ferreira beat No. 15 Alexander Volkov, 7-6 (7-2), 6-4.

No. 5 Sergi Bruguera, the top remaining seeded player, beat Yannick Noah of France, 6-1, 6-3. He will face Argentine Christian Miniussi today.

* Top-seeded Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini breezed into the third round of the Lufthansa Open in Berlin, with Graf beating Nicole Jagerman of the Netherlands, 6-2, 6-3, and Sabatini trouncing Naoko Sawamatsu of Japan, 6-1, 6-0.

* Bjorn Borg, 34, said he would not play in the French Open and is pondering whether to enter Wimbledon.

Borg, whose much-publicized comeback began with a first-round loss at last month's Monte Carlo Open, will continue practicing and testing new rackets rather than playing the French Open, which starts a week from Monday.

Auto racing

Roberto Guerrero is the latest driver to join the battle for a starting spot in the May 26 Indianapolis 500.

Guerrero, who lost his ride with Patrick Racing at the end of the 1990 season, was back in one of Pat Patrick's Alfa Romeo-powered Lolas as preparations for the final two days of Indy qualifications began heating up.

Eleven spots in the 33-car lineup remain open after the first of two weekends of time trials.


Donovan "Razor" Ruddock has agreed to pull out of his scheduled fight with Mike Tyson next month to let Tyson pursue a fight with heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, a spokesman for promoter Don King said last night.

The bout, a rematch of Tyson's victory March 18, was to have been held at The Mirage hotel-casino in Las Vegas. Murad Muhammad, who has promotional rights to Ruddock, was suspended May 8 for one year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission from promoting fights in the state for his role in a brawl after the controversial ending to the first fight.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.