Mark D. EdmondsonWMIX-FM disc jockeyServices for Mark...


May 08, 1991

Mark D. Edmondson

WMIX-FM disc jockey

Services for Mark Douglas Edmondson, the WMIX-FM disc jockey who was killed in an accidental shooting, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the chapel at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Lexington Park.

Mr. Edmondson, who was 24, was killed Friday when a gun he was holding fired at his home in the 6900 block of Harford Road.

At WMIX-FM for more than three years, he had a 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. show that featured love songs and dedications to listeners.

Before joining the station, Mr. Edmondson worked at WMDM-FM in Lexington Park. He got that job before his graduation from Leonardtown High School.

He was born in Pensacola, Fla., while his father was serving as a naval officer there. He lived in several cities before the family settled in Hollywood, St. Mary's County, in 1974.

After graduating from high school, he attended St. Mary's College of Maryland. He played saxophone in jazz bands in college and high school.

His mother, the former Patricia Nalley, died in 1981.

He is survived by his father, retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. Kenneth E. Edmondson, a sister, Jean Evita Edmondson, and a brother, William Scott Edmondson, all of Hollywood; and his paternal grandmother, Lena Edmondson of Yazoo, Miss.

Thomas M. Armour

Claims examiner

Services for Thomas M. Armour, a retired claims examiner for the Social Security Administration, will be held at 12:30 p.m. today at the Heritage United Church of Christ, 3106 Liberty Heights Ave.

Mr. Armour, who was 69 and lived on Forest Glen Road, died Friday after a heart attack while attending the races at Pimlico.

He retired 20 years ago, after five years as a claims examiner for the Social Security Administration. Earlier, he worked for the Maryland Employment Security Program, and from 1960 to 1961, he taught biology at Douglass High School.

Mr. Armour served in the Army twice, from 1942 to 1945 and again from 1949 to 1960. He reached the rank of captain.

During World War II, he served in the infantry and later attended Officer Candidate School, after which he became a second lieutenant in a paratroop unit. He was decorated with the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for service during the Korean War.

He was born in Proctor, Ark., and reared in Indianapolis, Ind. In 1941 he graduated from Crispus Attucks High School, where he played on the football, basketball and track teams.

Before his first stint in the Army, he served briefly in the Civilian Conservation Corps and attended North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University on an athletic scholarship.

After World War II, he attended North Carolina Central College and earned a bachelor's degree in biology and a master's degree in public health. He was a life member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

He is survived by his wife, the former Clara Wall; a son, Leon Armour of Fairfax, Va.; a daughter, Dr. Karen M. Armour of Baltimore; five sisters, Pearl Satterfield of Bowling Green, Ky., Doris Sampson of Milwaukee, and Ida Gamble, Vernia Martin and Judy Wilkes, all of Indianapolis; a brother, Morris Armour of Indianapolis; and a grandson.

Geraldine L. Noland

Bookkeeping supervisor

A memorial service for Geraldine Lee Noland, a retired bookkeeping supervisor who was an accomplished painter and craftsperson, will be held at 8 p.m. today at the Ruck Funeral Home, 1050 York Road, Towson.

Mrs. Noland, who lived in the 1600 block of Naturo Road in Towson, died of a heart attack Saturday at St. Joseph Hospital. She was 71.

The former Geraldine Flynn was born in Kansas City, Mo.

She graduated from Wyandotte High School there at age 16 and attended business college for two years.

In her Kansas City neighborhood, she met and later married Walter M. Noland, who repaired industrial scales. He died in 1973.

The Nolands had three children. A son, Walter M. Noland Jr., died in 1954.

The family came to Baltimore in 1961, and Mrs. Noland took a job in the bookkeeping department of Noxell Corp. She rose through the ranks to become a bookkeeping supervisor before retiring 10 years ago.

While working, Mrs. Noland renewed her interest in arts and crafts. She took painting lessons and soon was selling oils, watercolors and pastels -- often seascapes -- at area festivals.

Mrs. Noland was also an avid gardener and took particular pride in her calla lilies.

She is survived by two daughters, Iva Lee Mazan of Orlando, Fla., and Gerry Gay Noland of Reisterstown; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The family suggests donations to Handgun Control Inc., 1225 Eye St. N.W., Suite 1100, Washington, D.C. 20005 or the American Heart Association, 415 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

Charles E. Linn

Police lieutenant

A Mass of Christian burial for Charles E. Linn, a retired Baltimore police lieutenant who helped set up the city's first police radio system, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church, Harford Road and Gibbons Avenue.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.