George Wolf dies, leader in Shore's poultry industry
Services for George Farmer Wolf, a leading figure in the Eastern Shore's poultry industry for many years, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Holloway Funeral Home in Salisbury.
Mr. Wolf, a native of Baltimore, died Sunday of respiratory arrest at his home on Kay Avenue in Salisbury. He was 79.
His Wicomico County business, Caper Acres, consisted of a feed mill, hatchery and grain drying and storage facilities. He also owned broiler farms with a capacity of about 700,000 birds. He sold his holdings in the mid-1970s.
A graduate of the University of Maryland, where he was a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, Mr. Wolf was a director of the university's Terrapin Club and in 1967 was the recipient of the Distinguished Achievements Award of the university's Board of Regents.
He was president of the Salisbury Lions Club in 1954 and 1955. He was charter member of the Green Hill Yacht and Country Club and a member of the Salisbury Order of Elks. For 22 years he served on the board of the Maryland National Bank and for 20 years, on the board of the Salisbury Production Credit Association. He was on the Maryland board of Blue Shield for 17 years and was a trustee of Peninsula General Hospital.
As a leader in the development of the Shore's broiler production, Mr. Wolf was a director and former vice president of Delmarva Poultry Industry, receiving its Distinguished Citizen Award in 1973. For more than 20 years, he was the chairman of its $100-a-plate Booster Banquet.
His business was considered a model for the development of a broiler industry in other counties, and both the University of Maryland and the U.S. Department of Agriculture studied his operations.
Mr. Wolf's survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Purnell Quillin; a brother, Elwood Wolf of Greenbelt; a daughter, Kaye W. Wycall of Salisbury; two granddaughters, Kim Jennings of Virginia Beach, Va., and Kelly Phillips of Richmond; and a grandson, Teddy Wolf Wycall of Salisbury.
The family suggested contributions to the George Farmer Wolf Memorial Fund of the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore, P.O. Box 156, Salisbury, Md. 21801.
Pearl C. Beverly
Active in church
Services for Pearl Christian Beverly, an active member of New Shiloh Baptist Church for more than 60 years and an avid gardener, will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the church, 2100 N. Monroe St.
Mrs. Beverly, who was 86, died Sunday at her home in the first block of North Monroe Street after a lengthy illness.
Born in Middlesex, Va., the former Pearl Williams attended public schools there and came to Baltimore in 1924 seeking employment. The following year, she married James Harrison Beverly Sr. The couple would have celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary in October.
Mr. Beverly is a retired construction worker.
While rearing her six children, Mrs. Beverly worked for about 15 years as a housekeeper for the late Dr. and Mrs. Edward Muth of Walbrook.
Mrs. Beverly was a member of New Shiloh Baptist Church's missionary board, which helps church members who are ill or live alone at home. She enjoyed many kinds of gardening, including the growing of geraniums and violets at home.
In addition to her husband, Mrs. Beverly is survived by two sons, James Beverly Jr. of Baltimore and Louis H. Beverly of Gloucester, Va.; four daughters, Theresa Beverly, Marion Anderson, Mary Harper and Shirley Davis, all of Baltimore; a brother, Kelly Williams of Middlesex, Va.; a sister, Elizabeth Vaughn of Los Angeles; 13 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandson.
Dorothy W. Jackson
Private services for Dorothy Weis Jackson, a former resident of Catonsville and Glen Burnie, will be held today at the Doolittle Funeral Home in Middletown, Conn., with burial later in Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore.
Mrs. Jackson, 81, died Sunday at Middlesex Memorial Hospital in Middletown, where she had lived for 18 years.
A native of Rochester, N.Y., she worked as an occupational therapist at Spring Grove Hospital Center in Catonsville during the 1950s. She was married to Kenneth E. Jackson, recreational director of the hospital, who died in 1954.
Mrs. Jackson, who was a member of St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, lived in Catonsville from 1952 to 1956 and then in Glen Burnie until 1963, when she moved to Connecticut.
Survivors include two sons, Thomas D. Jackson of Leesburg, Va., and Terry Jackson of Middletown, Conn.; and 13 grandchildren.
Dr. Irving Breslow
Graveside services for Dr. Irving Breslow, a retired dentist in Perth Amboy, N.J., will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Beth Israel Memorial Park in Woodbridge, N.J.
Dr. Breslow, who was 82 and lived in Metuchen, N.J., died Sunday at a hospital in Edison, N.J.
A native of Perth Amboy, he was a graduate of the Georgetown University dental school.
His wife, the former Gertrude Eskow, died April 26. He is survived by a daughter, Rosalind Breslow of the Bonnie Ridge area in Baltimore County; a sister, Rose Einhorn of Union, N.J.; and a brother, Philip Breslow of Perth Amboy.
Ellen G. Tomlin
Services for Ellen G. Tomlin, who lived in Baltimore for many years and sang in the senior choir of the Flower Circle at the Fulton Baptist Church, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today at the Russ Funeral Home, 2222 W. North Ave.
Ms. Tomlin, who was 80, died Friday at her home in the Marlboro Apartments after a long illness.
A native of Virginia, she came to Baltimore as a young woman.
She is survived by two sons, Leroy Tomlin of Northrup, Del., and Joseph Doggett of Lancaster, Va.; a sister, Elizabeth T. Allen of Baltimore; a brother, Robert Tomlin of Lancaster; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Services will also be held Thursday in Virginia.