Founded in 1754, the City of Taneytown is the oldest municipality established in Carroll County.
The first inhabitants of the area were Indians, mostly of the Tuscarora tribe, who hunted otter, wolves, deer and wildcats in the woodlands. From this early history came such names as Beaver Dam, Monocacy, Otterdale and Bear Branch.
Taneytown was named after Raphael Taney, a resident of St. Mary's County who never lived in Taneytown but laid out plans for the city and gave it his name.
FOR THE RECORD - Due to incorrect information sent to us, the following corrections should be made to last Sunday's Welcome to Carroll County 1991 tourismissue:
* In the article on Taneytown, the Candlelight Christmas tour is sponsored by the Taneytown Heritage Committee.
A popular misconception is that the town was named for former Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney. But Justice Taney was not born until 1777.
Rich in history -- George Washington visited the Adam Good Tavern in 1791 -- Taneytown boasts antique shops, historic landmarks and close proximity to the Civil War battlefields at Gettysburg, Pa. The city played a key role in Gen. Robert E. Lee's 1863 drive through the north, as it was near principal supply routes.
Five miles west lies Terra Rubra, birthplace of Francis Scott Key, author of the "Star Spangled Banner." Key attended and taughtSunday school in the Yellow Church in Taneytown.
With a 1991 population of 3,526, Taneytown is the third-largest city inthe county.
Its fiscal 1990-1991 (budget year starts July 1) property tax rate is 78 cents per $100 of assessed valuation, which is inaddition to the county property tax; homes are assessed at 40 percent (as of July 1) of market value. The owner of a typical $134,000 home (assessed at $53,600) pays $418 annually in city property taxes, plus $1,260 in county property taxes.
Homeowners and businessmen must contract with private trash collectors for pickup.
The city is governed by a non-partisan mayor and five-member council, serving staggered four-year terms, and a city manager. Council members are paid $30 per meeting; the mayor gets $2,400 annually.
Elections are the first Monday in May of odd-numbered years; the mayoral and two council seats are up for election in 1991.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at City Hall, 17 E. Baltimore St., 21787, telephone 756-2677 or 751-1100.
* Mayor Henry I. ReindollarJr.: since 1979, term ends 1991
* Councilman (Mayor Pro-Tem) W. Robert Flickinger: council 1971-1978, appointed mayor 1978-1979, council since 1983, term ends 1991
* Councilman Henry C. Heine Jr.: since 1989, term ends 1993
* Councilman James L. McCarron: since 1985, term ends 1993
* Councilman Jacquelyn J. Polk: appointed 1989, term ends 1991
* Councilman Thomas J. Denike: appointed 1991, term ends 1993
* City Manager Neal W. Powell, since 1978 (when he quit as mayor)
* Clerk/Treasurer Linda M. Hess
* Zoning Administrator F. Mark Gross
* Police Chief Melvin E. Diggs
* Attorney Thomas F. Stansfield
* Antrim: This privately owned historic Greek Revival-style mansion was built in 1844 by Col. Andrew E. Ege. The home, later owned by D.C. Justice Harry Morris Clabaugh, was the site of heavy troop activity during Gen. George Meade's defense against Lee's drive through the north.
Antrim occasionallyis opened for tours, but access is limited. The Carroll County Tourism Office can provide information on Antrim. 848-4500, 875-3348 or 876-2085.
* Crouse's Mill: This area along the Big Pipe Creek was used by Meade in his defense against Lee.
* Terra Rubra: Key's 1779 birthplace is privately owned and closed to the public. It can be viewed from the outside.
* Yellow Church: The outline of the old church's foundation can be seen in the Grace United Methodist Church's Cemetery at 49 W. Baltimore St.
* December: Candlelight Christmas tour of historic homes sponsored by the Taneytown Revitalization Committee. Many 19th-century buildings are visited, including the town's original railroad station, built in 1874.