It covers 833 acres, with a 300-acre lake. Along with boating, fishing, winter activities, hiking and picnicking facilities, the park has a Nature Center where programs are scheduled for school and youthgroups.
The park season runs from April 1 to Oct. 31, while the Nature Center operates year-round. Fees are based on park usage:
* Daily entrance fee: In-country vehicles, $3; out-of-county vehicles, $4.
* Daily fee for boats brought onto park property: $2.
* Season passes: in-county vehicles, $15, in-county boats, $20; out-of-county vehicles, $20, out-of-county boats, $20.
* Boat rental fees: Canoes, rowboats, $4 per hour; pedal boats, $4 per half-hour; $10 refundable deposit required. (All renters must be 16 years or older and leave a driver's license as security.
* Pontoon boat rides: Adults,$1; children 12 and younger and adults 62 and older, 50 cents. Note:rides scheduled on the hour on weekend afternoons, weather permitting, Memorial Day through Labor Day.
* Nature Center membership: family, $10, individuals, $7, senior citizens and full-time students, $5. (Membership to the Nature Center does not include fees into park).
Park hours during the season are 9 a.m. to sunset on weekdays and 6 a.m. to sunset on weekends and holidays. Park pavilions must be reserved. Information: 795-3274.
OTHER COUNTY PARKS
Hours at all parks are from dawn to dusk.
Pavilions in any of the county parks mustbe reserved.
Fees are $30 for county residents and $40 for non-county residents; $25 cleanup deposit. The department also sells discount tickets to theme parks throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Information: 857-2103.
* Bennett Cerf Park, 544 Manchester Road, Westminster.
* Carroll County Sports Complex, 2225 Littlestown Pike, northof Westminster.
* Deer Park, 637 Deer Park Road, Finksburg
* Landon C. Burns, 700 Gist Road, Westminster.
* Mayeski Park, behind130 W. Old Liberty Road (South Carroll High School), Winfield.
* North Carroll Community Pond, Hanover Pike near Greenmount (Hampstead).
* Oklahoma Park, Oklahoma Road, Eldersburg.
* Roaring Run Park, Finksburg.
* Sandymount, 2250 Old Westminster Pike, Sandymount.
* Salt Box, 2126 Gillis Falls Road, Woodbine.
* Watkins Park,Route 27, Mount Airy.
* Westminster Community Pond, 30 College View Blvd., Westminster.
All municipal parks operatefrom dawn to dusk.
Portable bathrooms are available in some locations only during the summer season.
* Hampstead: Melvin Miller Memorial Park, Route 30, north of town, includes picnic area, 374-2761; Hampstead Town Pool, Hampstead Valley, 1990 fees were $200 for residential families of four, $220 for non-residential families of four, $180 for couples, $120 for individuals; 1991 fees to be set, 876-7339.
* Manchester: Christmas Tree Park, Water Street, two ball fields and lighted tennis courts, pavilion reservation fee: $25, large and $15, small; Pine Valley Park, Walnut Street, pond for fishing, nature trails; Westside Memorial Park, picnic area on Route 27 just west of Route 30; 239-3200.
* Mount Airy: Mount Airy Park, Prospect Road, weekend and holiday pavilion rental, $25; Prospect Park, Prospect Road, pond, pavilion, some recreational facilities; Watkins Park, Route 27, pavilion, picnic area, tennis and basketball courts, ball fields; 829-1424 or 795-6012.
* New Windsor: Lions Field, Route 75; New Windsor Tot Lot, Lambert Avenue, donation accepted for pavilion rental;Seible Field, Roops Spring Road, off Old New Windsor Pike; Sulphur Springs, Water Street behind the Middle School, 635-2614.
* Sykesville: Millard F. Cooper Park, Route 32 across from entrance to Springfield Hospital Center; $15 pavilion rental fee. 795-8959.
* Taneytown: Roth Avenue Recreation Park, Cloverberry Development; T. H. S. Recreation Park, off George Street and Roberts Mill Road; Taneytown Memorial Park, Route 140 West Baltimore Street; $25 minimum pavilion rental fee; swimming pool has yearly and daily membership fees. 756-2677.
* Union Bridge: Community Center, 4770 Ladiesburg Road, with kitchen, rentals $50 for hall, $25 for kitchen, $20 for cleanup and a $50 deposit for town residents; fees are $75, $30, $25 and $50, respectively, for out-of-towners, 775-2718.
* Westminster: Belle Grove Square, Bond and Green streets, open space park with benches; Charles Street Tot Lot; King Park, Chase Street, open-space park with tot lot and pavilion (free permit needed) and fitness court; Longwell Municipal Center (Old Armory), available for volleyball and basketball, $12-per-hour rental fee; Sullivan Avenue Tot Lot; Westminster City Playground; Broadway Alley off Center Street, no fees; Westminster Municipal Jaycee Park, Johahn Drive and Uniontown Road; Westminster MunicipalPool, The Greens, 325 Royer Road, memberships available, $2.50 city residential daily fee, $3.50 county residential daily fee, 848-6962.