Baby held hostage in domestic disputeA 3-month old baby...


May 05, 1991|By From Staff Reports

COLUMBIA — Baby held hostage in domestic dispute

A 3-month old baby was held hostage by his 23-year-old father for three hours yesterday in a Columbia apartment before the confrontation ended peacefully, Howard County police said.

They said the child's parents had argued violently over rent money and the mother ran out of the apartment, screaming that her baby was inside and that her live-in boyfriend had a gun.

Howard County's tactical team responded to the 5900 block of Turnabout Lane in the Tilbury Woods complex shortly after 10 a.m. By 1:15 p.m., the father had surrendered without incident.

No one was injured, no gun was found and no charges werfiled, said police spokesman Gary Gardner.

Burglar caught in act--or at least in chimney


A 32-year-old man weighing 150 pounds, who was attempting to burglarize a church, got caught in a chimney for 17 hours but apparently suffered only minor cuts and bruises before he was extracted yesterday morning, Baltimore police said.

They said the man was breaking into the Son of David Baptist Church at 1406 Laurens Street.

He opened a grate at the top of the chimney, climbed in and became stuck.

Passersby who heard him yelling "help" called the Fire Department.

Anthony Woodley, 32, of the 600 block of Bentalou Street, wa charged with burglary.

Boonsboro man guilty in shooting death


A Washington County man has been found guilty of manslaughter and a handgun violation in the death of a man shot in the chest on a farm near Boonsboro.

A Washington County Circuit Court jury acquitted Charles Albert Schmick III of first- and second-degree murder Thursday after a three-day trial.

Mr. Schmick was returned to jail to await sentencing.

Mr. Schmick, who lived in a house at the farm, was accused of killing Stanley P. E. Price, who leased a barn at the site.

The shooting took place Sept. 21 after a confrontation between Mr. Price and Mr. Schmick's wife.

Defense attorney Joseph Lyons said he was disappointed with the verdict, especially since the handgun violation carries a mandatory five-year prison sentence.

Manslaughter carries a possible 10-year sentence.

In closing arguments Thursday, Washington County State's Attorney M. Kenneth Long Jr. said Mr. Schmick could have walked away from the confrontation.

"Schmick wanted to be in control that day so he went out to meet the danger and he shot him," Mr. Long said.

"It wasn't OK, and it wasn't self- defense. It was murder."

Mr. Lyons insisted that Mr. Price was the aggressor, not Mr. Schmick.

"He was on his own property and he acted reasonably to protect his family; therefore it was self-defense," Mr. Lyons said.


W.Va. man guilty of kidnapping


A Falling Waters, W.Va., man has been found guilty of kidnapping, burglary and armed robbery in the abduction of a Hagerstown family last September.

Larry Edward Wilt, 41, was convicted Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court and could be sentenced to as many as 70 years in prison.

Assistant State's Attorney Dan Dwyer said Mr. Wilt and another man broke into the home of Roland Layman Sept. 19.

The men allegedly threatened Mr. Layman and his wife with a gun and knife.

Mr. Layman's wife and three children were forced to leave thhome in a van, but the children later escaped near a gas station.

Meanwhile, Mr. Wilt forced Mr. Layman to go to a Hagerstown bank and write a check for $30,000. Before the check was cashed, police arrested Mr. Wilt.

The other man, Mr. Wilt's brother, George, also of Falling Waters, was returned to Maryland in April and is being held on $200,000 bond. Berkeley County, W.Va., deputies captured him at his home a day after the kidnapping.

Charges against George Wilt, 42, include five counts of kidnapping.

No trial date has been set.

Pickup runs off road, leaving man, 20, dead


A 20-year-old man was killed and a friend was critically injure as they returned from a fishing trip Friday afternoon in a pickup truck that ran off U.S. 50 near Cambridge and overturned four times in a wheat field.

The driver and his front-seat passenger, neither wearing seat belts, went through the windshield when the truck hit a ditch, state police at Easton said.

Driving the 1989 Ford Ranger was David Alexander Siler, 20, of Boonsboro. He was pronounced dead at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury.

The front-seat passenger, Bobbi Jo Stull of Keedysville, 18, was in critical condition at Peninsula General with internal injuries and a broken arm.

A third passenger sitting in the small seat behind the cab was not seriously injured, police said.

They said Mr. Siler apparently fell asleep about 3:30 p.m. on the way back from a fishing trip in Ocean City. The truck, traveling west on U.S. 50, drifted off the road and overturned near Hicksburg Road in Linkwood, just south of Cambridge. The two passengers also were asleep when the accident occurred, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.