Patuxent River Discovery Day, an annual educational and recreationalevent celebrating the importance of the Patuxent River, will be conducted Saturday and Sunday in Howard and six other counties bordering the river.
Volunteers are being sought for a few hours on Sunday for "Give a Day for the Bay."
Projects will include tree planting, trail building, stream bank stabilization, and a trash cleanup.
For more information, individuals and groups may call 627-6074.
Among the county events planned for the weekend are canoe trips, wildflower walks, bird-watching expeditions, an ecology hike, and a cleanup project.
Pre-registration is required.
The schedule of events:
* "Patuxent River Ecology Hike," from 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday, in Savage Park. Participants will explore the aquatic life of the Little Patuxent River on a two-mile hike featuring seining and water-quality activities. Hosted by the county chapter of the Sierra Club, hikers will meet at the Savage Park office. There is no fee. For information, call 313-2762.
* "Paddle to Nature," from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, at Centennial Park for ages 10 to adult. Participants will board canoes and look for migratory ducks, fish-spawning areas, crawfish and other critters after a basic canoeing demonstration. The cost is $6. Participants will meet at the lake boat dock area off Route 108. For information, call 313-2762.
* "Wildflower Walk," from 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, at Savage MillTrail. Hikers will discover a variety of spring wildflowers along the trail. The event is sponsored by the county Department of Recreation and Parks and the Howard County Bird Club. There is no fee. For more information, call 313-2762.
* "Morning Bird Walk," from 7 to 11 a.m. Sunday, for all ages. Hikers and experienced birders with use a tripod and telescopes to look migrating birds and waterfowl. There isno fee. For more information, call 461-3361.
* "Discovery Day Clean-Up," from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Interested scout troops and area residents are invited to help beautify the stream valley along the Middle Patuxent River. There is no fee. For more information call Centennial Park, 313-7255; Savage Park, 490-7575; and Wincopin Trail, 313-7254.
* "River Canoeing," from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, for ages 10 to adult. Participants will canoes along scenic sections of the river while learning the basics of canoeing. Some white water areas may be encountered. The fee is $30. Registration for the The event is filled, but there is a waiting list.
For more information, call313-2762.