50 Years Ago (week of April 27-May 3, 1941):
* This week, the Ellicott City Kiwanis Club was addressed by Army Lt. Harry Hellar from Fort Meade. In his speech, titled "I Interviewed Hitler," Hellar spokeof his experience as a newspaper reporter stationed in Germany in 1931. His job had been to report on the then-new Hitler Youth Movement.
During his assignment, he had spoken formally with Adolf Hitler while on a weekend hike with a Nazi group. According to Hellar, Hitler's prediction at the time was that he would never have to face a block of nations "because each one will be selfish and foolish enough to believe that neutrality will preserve them."
* T. Hunt Mayfield Jr. was named counsel to the board of Howard County commissioners this week. Mayfield would be the successor of Jerome A. Loughran, who had served in that position since 1935. All other county officers were appointed to previously held positions that included clerk to the boardof commissioners, John L. Iglehart, county jail physician, Dr. FrankO. Miller, and courthouse janitor, Edward D. Hilton.
25 Years Ago(week of April 24-April 30, 1966):
* It was discovered this week that some apartment units under construction in Savage -- which had been described as low-rent units the previous year when the zoning application was made -- would actually be renting for as high as $125 a month, utilities excluded.
At a public zoning hearing the previousNovember, the developer had stated that the apartments would rent for $68 to $97.50 a month. The reasons given by the developer for the increase were higher interest rates on borrowed money and his decisionto make the apartments larger than originally planned.
* ColonialCars and Parts Inc., located on Washington Boulevard, was ordered this week by the Department of Health to "cease and desist" open-air burning of automobiles and parts. The ruling came as the result of an investigation of the company by both the health department and Air Pollution Control Inc. following complaints from nearby residents. The automobiles were burned to remove paint, upholstery and other non-metal materials prior to processing the remainder as scrap metal.
Information for this column was culled from Howard County Historical Society's Library.