Bail session due for 2 charged in killing 2 men were charged yesterday in the fatal stabbing of a city resident, 81

April 30, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A bail review hearing in District Court was scheduled today for two men charged in the stabbing death of an 81-year-old South Baltimore man in his Clarkson Street home, police said.

Frank C. Bisesi Jr., 27, of the 500 block of Cathedral St., and Mark Lyndon Kirby, 31, of the 5800 block of Windsor Mill Road, were charged with first-degree murder shortly before 3 a.m. yesterday, police said. A District Court commissioner ordered them held without bail at the City Jail.

The victim, Raleigh Herman Atkins, 81, of the 1700 block of Clarkson St., was stabbed once in the back after two men forced their way into his home looking for drugs, police said.

Police said Atkins, who retired from a local paint company 10 years ago, was taken by ambulance to the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, where he died at 2:20 a.m. yesterday, about an hour after the stabbing.

Atkins was asleep on a front-room sofa about 1 a.m. when two men entered the house and demanded drugs from his grandson, Paul Kratsas, 26, who lived with his grandfather, police said.

Kratsas told police he doesn't deal drugs and thought the men used that as an excuse to enter the house after he fought recently with the brother of one of the intruders.

Kratsas got a knife from the kitchen and ordered the men to leave, but he was disarmed during a brief scuffle, police said.

Police said Kratsas fled the house to get a weapon from his girlfriend's house, also on Clarkson Street. About that time, Atkins awakened, police said.

Returning home moments later, Kratsas told police he saw the two men run away and enter a house in the 1400 block of S. Hanover St.

Then Kratsas saw his grandfather, sitting at the kitchen table, bleeding from a stab wound to his back, police said.

Police said while Atkins was being taken to the hospital, officers went to the Hanover Street house and arrested two men as they attempted to escape by climbing onto the roof.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.