Govans woman fatally stabbed at home suspect seized Slaying is one of three in city during the night.

April 24, 1991|By Joe Nawrozki | Joe Nawrozki,Evening Sun Staff Alisa Samuels, Richard Irwin and William B. Talbott contributed to this story.

A 63-year-old Govans woman, described as a good parent, neighbor and church woman, was stabbed to death at her home early today, apparently during a quarrel.

Lucy Martin McIntyre, of the 500 block of Richwood Ave., was one of three people killed last night and early today, city police said.

Her death brought to 101 the number of homicide victims so far this year in Baltimore. There were 90 homicides in the city at this time last year, a particularly violent year punctuated by numerous narcotics-related killings.

Last year, 305 people were murdered in Baltimore, police said. It was the most homicides in Baltimore since 1972, when a record 330 people were slain.

Shortly after the body of McIntyre was found, police in the Northwestern District arrested a suspect in the 5800 block of Royal Oak Ave. in Gwynn Oak and handed him over to homicide detectives for questioning in her slaying.

Police said the victim was found fully clothed in the kitchen of her home. Two knives were recovered, police said.

Police spokeswoman Arlene Jenkins said officers were notified over the 911 emergency telephone number that the woman had been stabbed. Jenkins said police did not know the identity of the caller but calls through the 911 service are electronically traced and recorded.

The victim lived alone, according to one neighbor. The victim was believed to have been a friend to the mother of the suspect. A motive for the slaying was unknown, police said.

McIntyre and her husband, who lives at another address, have six grown children and were viewed as good parents, according to people who knew them.

Mildred Briscoe, who lives across the street from the victim, described her as a "good church woman, helpful to members of the community and a person who kept her home in tiptop shape."

Briscoe said Lucy McIntyre retired "several years ago" from the Social Security Administration.

Meanwhile, police today continued to investigate four other killings, including one that occurred late last night and another earlier today. Three of the four were thought to be drug-related.

No arrests have been made in any of those cases.

"We're just trying to keep our heads above water over here right now," said one weary homicide detective.

Homicide Lt. Robert Stanton said the body of Ronald E. Prince, 21, of the 1300 block of N. Ellwood Ave., was found by police shortly before 1 a.m. today in the 1300 block of Division St. He had been shot at least once in the head.

Stanton said Prince was taken by ambulance to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Stanton said evidence at the scene and statements from witnesses indicated the victim was shot by another man during an argument over drugs.

About 11:30 last night, police found the body of Andrew Dennis, 32, in the 400 block of Park Ave. He had been stabbed several times.

Police said Dennis, of the first block of Saturn Court in Hillendale, was pronounced dead at the scene. Evidence indicated the slaying was drug-related, police said.

Dennis carried no identification, police said, and he was taken to the state medical examiner's office, where he was identified from his fingerprints.

Also, police today continued to search for two men in connection with the slaying yesterday of John "Pops" Myers, 58, whose body was found in the bedroom of his rowhouse in the 1800 block of W. Pratt St. Police said they believed the killing was drug related.

Myers died from bullet wounds to the head and abdomen, police said.

Police said they were seeking two men known as "Junior" and "Craig." Witnesses saw two men run from Myers' house shortly before the victim's body was found by Officer Thomas Cassella, who was stopped by a pedestrian as he was driving to work shortly after 11 p.m. Monday.

Police said nearly 40 plastic bags containing suspected heroin were near Myers' body and drug paraphernalia was found inside the house.

Police said anyone with information on the whereabouts of the two men being sought should call the homicide squad at 396-2100.

Three people still were being sought today in the fatal shooting early yesterday of Hae Gak Chung, 51, the night manager of the 7-Eleven convenience store in the 400 block of E. 33rd St. in Waverly.

Chung, of the 300 block of Limestone Valley Drive in Cockeysville, was shot while attempting to fight off three robbers who came in the store about 3 a.m.

Police said nothing was stolen from the store's two cash registers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.