Tobacco or not, fans would keep coming

It's your call

April 15, 1991

Health Secretary Louis Sullivan may think sports and the tobacco industry make a lousy marriage, but Evening Sun readers and other callers to SUNDIAL don't agree.

Sullivan has asked fans to boycott sports events such as Virginia Slims tennis and Winston Cup auto racing, which are sponsored by tobacco companies. But of the 454 callers to SUNDIAL over the weekend, only 167 (37 percent) said they would not attend such a sports event. The other 287 (63 percent) said they would attend an athletic event that was sponsored by a tobacco company.

The percentages were almost identical for another question: Should tobacco companies be prohibited from sponsoring sports events? The majority (288 callers) said no, while 171 callers agreed with such a prohibition.

"It's Your Call" represents a sampling of opinions from certain segments of the community, but it is not balanced demographically, as would be done in a scientific public opinion poll.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.