5-0 start lifts No. 3 Hopkins to 18-8 romp over No. 10 Army

April 14, 1991|By Kevin Wells

Last weekend, unranked Army stunned Navy and moved int the top 10. Johns Hopkins, ranked second, fell to top-ranked North Carolina and dropped to No. 3.

Yesterday, in the rain at Homewood Field, their fortunes were reversed.

Hopkins scored the game's first five goals early in the first quarter and went on to rout the 10th-ranked Cadets, 18-8.

"We knew Army was a good team. They were coming off of one of their best starts ever, and we knew they would be sky high for us. They always are," said senior Matt Panetta, who had two goals in the 5-0 run. "Because we knew they would play really physical while looking to double real quick against us, we just wanted to move the ball around, find the open man and get the good shots. That's just what we did."

Panetta led the Blue Jays with four goals and two assists. He scored his first two goals from beyond 15 yards, and the second two came from in close when the game was out of reach.

"Well, being healthy this year is a big thing. I'm dodging hard, playing hard and going out every play 100 percent," Panetta said. "A really big key for us is we have a hot goalie right now who is playing just as good or better than any goalie in the country."

Scott Giardina wasn't tested much. He stopped nine shots and allowed five goals before he was relieved by Ian Hobbs with three minutes left in the third quarter.

"As far as today, I don't think I played well at all," Giardina said. "If our offense plays well, we're going to win games. I'll take the Princeton loss [15-10] on the chin. That was my fault. I was really nervous and it was a horrendous game for me, but after that game, I started to see the ball better, and the confidence from other people really helped me."

After colliding with an Army defenseman late in the second half, Hopkins' second-leading scorer, midfielder Adam Wright, injured his left shoulder. Later in the game, he reinjured the shoulder and was taken to Union Memorial Hospital early in the fourth quarter.

Wright was treated for a shoulder separation and released. The injury was described by the hospital as not serious.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.