Man Hurt In Ferndale Dies In Baltimore

Police beat

April 14, 1991

A Baltimore man who fell from the top of a forklift at a construction site in Ferndale last month died Thursday morning at University Hospital in Baltimore.

Robert McLean, 40, of the 1200 block Union Avenue, was pronounced dead at 9:20 a.m. The State Medical Examiner's office said the man died of multiple body trauma.

A police report says McLean was working inside a building in the 300 block Hammonds Ferry Road on April 11. The report says he was working on a forklift and for some reason climbed out of a safety cage.

"While outside the cage, he was struck by some type of 'angle iron,' either causing him to lose his balance or knocking him to the ground," the report says. He fell 20 to 25 feet, landing on a concrete floor.

McLean was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center at University Hospital in Baltimore and then transferred to the hospital.

Doug Wallis, supervisor for operations for the Maryland Occupational Safety and Health office, said McLean, who worked for Crain and Hoist Inc., of Baltimore, struck a piece of steel that apparently was danglingfrom the ceiling.

"We are still investigating," Wallis said. "I don't have much to tell. I don't think there was anything out of the ordinary here."


An 18-year-old Severna Park High School student was arrested Friday morning on drug charges after police say they got a tip that he was planning to sell Percocet -- an extremely powerful painkiller -- to other students.

Brian Alexander Glick, 18, of the 700 block MacSherry Drive, Arnold, was charged with unlawful possession of drugs and distribution of drugs on school property.

Police say they they received a tip that a student was bringing the drugs to school. Members of the narcotics enforcement section found the student in the school at 7:45 a.m., searched his backpack and said they found the drugs.

Percocet pills resemble aspirin, and the drug is similar to the sedative codeine. Police would not say how many pills the student had.

The school principal, Oliver Wittig, refused to comment.


A man police say is a suspect in the theft of a county police car from an officer's home last week was arrested with another man in Bowie Thursday after a crime spree that started in Annapolis.

The police car, worth about $13,000, was stolen April 4 from the home of Officer Sef Martinez, who had parked the 1991 Ford in front of his home in Revell Downs. Police say someone broke a door lock and hot-wired the car.

The cruiser was found parked by town houses in the 500 block of Fawns Walk, in Woods Landing near Cape St. Claire. It was undamaged, but the radio, a set of keys and a nightstick were missing. The car had been driven less than 10 miles.

Prince George's County police say two men stole a 1984 Buick Regal in the city at about 11:45 p.m. Wednesday. They drove the car to Bowie, where theystole a black Chrysler convertible.

Police say the men drove thatcar to the 1600 block of English Oak Avenue, where they broke into aparked state police cruiser and rummaged through it, but did not steal anything.

The men then tried to steel a 1985 Fiero from the 4000 block Emerald Lane, where police surprised them. Prince George's County police Sgt. Chuck Cooke said officers chased the two men and eventually caught them with the help of a K-9 dog.

Shawn Harrison Quick, 18, of the 1600 block Secretariat Drive, and Jeffrey David Hudson, 19, of the 1600 block Revell Downs Drive, both in Annapolis, were charged with two counts of auto theft and one count of attempted auto theft.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.