H. Chandlee Forman, who was chief architect of the National Park Service project at Jamestown, Va., and at St. Mary's City, died March 18 at his home in Easton after a short illness. He was 86.
Dr. Forman did archaeological work during the 1930s at Jamestown and St. Mary's City, which was recognized as Maryland's first permanent Colonial settlement and provincial capital.
His work at Jamestown preceded development of a major historic site there and St. Mary's City is still being studied by archaeologists who recently found coffins in the remains of the foundations of the Colonial Catholic church there.
Two of his books, "Early Manor and Plantation Houses of Maryland" and "Jamestown and St. Mary's City, Buried Cities of Romance" grew out of this work.
He also was the first editor of the national records of the Historical American Building Survey of the Library of Congress in the 1930s, and over many years, studied historic buildings, mostly homes from the 17th century to the early 19th century, recording them in photographs, measurements and drawings.
The most recent of his 14 books was "Early Buildings and Historic Artifacts in Tidewater Maryland: I. The Eastern Shore."
Not all of his work was in this area. A 1966 book on Nantucket, Mass., for example, described a type of structure he discovered: the whale house, with a hanging loft.
He also was an architect on historic restoration projects, many of them in Maryland, including the Slicer-Shiplap House in Annapolis.
Though some of the buildings he studied no longer exist, he restored at least one of them, The End of Controversie, a 1670 house built in Easton by a Quaker, which Dr. Forman donated as a museum to the Historical Society of Talbot County. He was a founder of the society.
Born in New York City, though many of his ancestors came from Maryland, he was a 1926 graduate of Princeton University and earned a master's degree in architecture and a doctorate of fine arts from the University of Pennsylvania.
He lived in Easton, Williamsburg, Va., and the Baltimore area during the 1930s and returned to Baltimore for a short time before moving to Easton in 1955.
In the 1940s and early 1950s, he taught in Georgia, first as professor of art at Wesleyan College, then as head of the art
department at Agnes Scott College.
A fellow of the Explorers Club and the American Institute of Architects, he held the institute's Presidential Award and an honorary doctorate from St. Mary's College. Other awards included one from his class at Princeton and at least three for his work in Maryland.
A charter member and former vice president of the Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the AIA, he was also a former president of the EasternShore Chapter of the Princeton Alumni Association.
He was a member of the Third Haven Friends Meeting in Easton.
His first wife, the former Caroline Biddle Lippincott, died in 1975.
He is survived by his wife, the former Rebecca Russell; a $H daughter, Elizabeth F. Harrell of Arcata, Calif.; a son, Richard T. T. Forman of Concord, Mass.; and eight grandchildren.
Services for Dr. Forman will be private.