Tribulations of tax day can be eased


April 12, 1991

Those who dread Mondays and who put off filing their income tax returns until the 11th hour may hope this weekend never ends.

When it does, the April 15 deadline -- a Monday -- arrives. Here's how and where to get last-minute help and how to seek an extension for filing your 1990 return:


* Main Internal Revenue Service offices: First floor of the Fallon Federal Building at 31 Hopkins Plaza in Baltimore, and West Woods Business Park at 190 Admiral Cochrane Drive, Suite 170, in Annapolis.

Offices in both cities are open today until 4:15 p.m. They will be closed tomorrow and Sunday. They will be open Monday from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.

IRS personnel will be available in the lobby of Baltimore's main post office at 900 E. Fayette St. Monday from 6 p.m. to midnight to assist taxpayers.

* Telephone assistance: Call (301) 962-2590 in the Baltimore area. Elsewhere in Maryland and Washington, call 1-800-829-1040. These lines are open today until 4:15 p.m. and tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The lines will be closed Sunday. The lines will be open Monday from 8 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.

* Extensions: To get an automatic four-month extension, a taxpayer must mail a form 4868 by midnight Monday. However, taxpayers must include any expected tax payment or they will be subject to interest and penalties. Military personnel who served in the Desert Storm campaign and their spouses get an automatic extension of at least six months after leaving the combat zone without filing form 4868. They must write "Desert Storm" at the top of their form.


* State tax offices: Listed on the back cover of the state tax packet, they will be open tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The offices will be open Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. The main office in Baltimore is at 301 W. Preston St.

* Telephone assistance: Call (301) 225-1995 in the Baltimore area; 1-800-638-2937 (MD TAXES) elsewhere in Maryland. The lines will be open tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

* Extensions: To get a four-month extension on Maryland taxes, form 502E, which is in the tax package, must be mailed by midnight Monday. As is the case with the federal extension, you must include payment for any expected tax owed or face interest and penalty.

The state also offers the same extension to military personnel in the Persian Gulf war as does the federal government.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.