"We wanted to offer something different," said MaRea Stonesifer of Westminster, Extension Council president.
Carroll's 26 homemaker clubs number 490 members who were eligible to enter the contest.
"We had 64 entries, 12 more than last year," said Vivian Penick, Cultural Arts Council co-chairwoman with her mother, Joyce Williams. Both women live in Westminster.
Champion purple ribbons went to: Corinne Powell, Smallwood Club; Cynthia Weas, North Carroll; Mary Popp, Triple Valley; Helen Totura, Melrose; Celeste Barnes, Winfield; Dorothy Zollickoffer, Suburban; Vivian Penick, Iris Kortisses and Virginia Barger, all of Matinee.
Art and craft experts Viola Quail, Elaine Esworthy and Judy Stuart judged champion, blue, red, and white ribbon awards in nine of a possible 13 categories.
Apart from the sewing entries all champion and blue-ribbon exhibits will compete at the MarylandExtension Homemakers
contest in Gaithersburg, April 16 to 18. Winners from that competition will have their work displayed at the National Council meeting in Portland, Ore., in August.
Penick said theCarroll clubs added the sewing category this year because of interest from members.
Categories and results were:
* Paintings: Oils -- Corinne Powell, Smallwood, blue; Imogene Leister, North Carroll, and Celeste Barnes, Winfield, red; Joyce Williams, Matinee, and Virginia Barger, Matinee, white. Pastel, charcoal, and pencil -- Corinne Powell, champion and blue; Vivian Penick, Matinee, red. Pen and ink --Vivian Penick, blue.
* Photography: Color -- Vivian Penick, champion and blue.
* Fiber Arts: Knitting -- Helen Totura, Melrose, champion and blue; Nellie Hoke, Melrose, red; Carol Nelson, Smallwood, white. Crocheting -- Rhoda Shilke, Snydersburg, blue; Etta Schmidt, Winfield, red; MaRea Stonesifer, Myers, white. Other -- Bertha Shriner,Westminster, blue.
* Hand stitching: Counted cross stitch -- Cynthia Weas, North Carroll, champion and blue; Debi Chaney, Matinee, red; Carole Schuler, Matinee, white. Embroidery -- Virginia Maskell, Eldersburg, blue. Needlepoint (plastic) -- Joyce Williams, Matinee, blue. Needlepoint (canvas) -- Helen Totura, blue. Crewel -- Elnora Heiss,Snydersburg, blue.
* Heritage Skills: Basketry -- Julia Dahlgreen, Smallwood, blue. Leather crafts -- Vivian Penick, blue. Quilling --Iris Kortisses, champion and blue; Virginia Barger, red; Julia Dahlgreen, white. Other -- Vivian Penick, blue; Bertha Shriner, Westminster, red; Imogene Leister, white.
* Quilted items: Machine-pieced --Iris Kortisses, blue. Hand-pieced -- Mary Popp, champion and blue. Wall hanging -- Imogene Leister, blue.
* Hand-crafted toys: Dolls -- Collectible -- Joyce Williams, blue. Dolls to be played with -- Joyce Williams, blue; Mary Popp, red. Stuffed animals -- Celeste Barnes,champion and blue; Joyce Williams, red; Dorothy Zollickoffer, white.Other -- Iris Kortisses, blue; Bertha Shriner, Westminster, red.
* Miscellaneous creations: Holiday -- Virginia Barger, champion and blue; Bertha Shriner, red; Rhoda Shilke, white. Other -- Cynthia Weas,blue; Bertha Shriner, red; Elnora Heiss, white.
* Sewing: Informal wear -- Dorothy Zollickoffer, champion and blue; Carole Schuler, red; Bertha Shriner, white. Home accessories -- Carole Schuler, blue.
* Extra kits (this category was judged separately and will not go to the state): Louise Robertson, Keyesville-Detour, blue; and VirginiaMaskell, red.