Centennial Girls Catch But Can't Top Fallston

April 10, 1991|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Staff writer

Centennial's girls lacrosse team swallowed the toughest kind of defeat yesterday against visiting Fallston High School.

The Eagles trailed Fallston for most of the game, and with 10 minutes left in regulation, Centennial was staring at a 9-5 deficit. The Eagles had watched Fallston goalie Tammy Kloiber put on a first-half clinic with 16 saves -- staking Fallston to a 6-3 halftime lead -- before the Cougars seemed to tighten their grip on the game's outcome midway through thesecond half.

But Centennial suddenly rallied with an unanswered four-goal outburst to tie the game at nine. They tied the game again at 10-10 with 50 seconds left to force an overtime period before finally falling toFallston, 13-11.

It marked the second time this season that Fallston (3-0), a traditional Harford County powerhouse, had beaten a Howard team in overtime. The Cougars needed an extra six-minute period tobeat Glenelg last month, 10-7.

It also marked the second defeat for Centennial (2-2) under bitter circumstances this season. The Eagles' other loss was a 12-11 decision to Dulaney of Baltimore County.

Beth Pressler led Centennial with four goals, including the Eagles' only overtime score. Megan McGowan scored three goals. Kirsten Sadlerscored two. Allison Lages and Heather Saunders scored one apiece.

Fallston's Denise Sarver led all scorers with five goals and one assist. Cindy Jenkins scored four goals for the Cougars, including the game's final goal with 1:40 to go in overtime. Meghan Williams and Elise Andrews each scored twice, and each scored an overtime goal.

The game featured an impressive battle of goalkeepers, with each goaliesnaring 25 saves and each keeper shining in one half.

Kloiber sparkled in the first half and was the main reason Centennial shot a dismal 1-for-10 in first-half free-position opportunities. But Centennial's Renee Svehla, after struggling in the opening half, made 17 second-half saves and kept the Eagles in position to make their surprisingcomeback.

Fallston controlled most of the first half with excellent ball movement and shot selection. The Cougars also benefited from a questionable call that disallowed what appeared to be a Centennial goal midway through the half.

After Centennial took the lead on McGowan's first goal, Fallston outscored the Eagles 6-2, despite being outshot in the half, 23-17. Fallston then took a 9-5 lead with 14 minutes left in regulation, and the Eagles appeared to be fading in the hazy sunshine.

But Sadler, Pressler and Saunders brought them backinto contention. Sadler scored on a free-position shot with just under 10 minutes left to make it 9-6. Pressler, Sadler and Saunders thenscored in succession to tie the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.