1868 flooded airwaves
50 Years Ago (week of April 6-April 12, 1941):
* The story of Ellicott City's historic 1868 flood was the topic of a radio broadcast featured on WCAO Radio's weekly radio program "It Happened in Maryland." A story was recounted of a young boy who rescued a highly valued family possession from his father's Ellicott City store moments before the building was swept away by the flood. Entertainment on that week's program was provided by Howard Countian Eunice Curry, who played her guitar and yodeled.
* A $12,000 addition to the Mount Airy Volunteer Fire Co.'s firehouse was dedicated this week. Baltimore Mayor Howard W. Jackson spoke at the dedication banquet. In his address, he encouraged unity in the face of the current wartime emergency.
25 Years Ago (week of April 3-April 9, 1966):
*Howard County filed a lawsuit against the state of Maryland this week. The suit, filed by the board of county commissioners, claimed thatthe state owed Howard County more than $7,600 as its share of horse-racing revenues accrued from July through December of 1965. The office of the state comptroller had withheld payment of the revenues on the order of the state Health Department. The department claimed that Howard County owed the disputed amount of services performed by the local health department in inspecting trailer parks and motels during aseven-year period from 1956 to 1963.
* The board of county commissioners sought to acquire the Bollmann Truss Bridge in Savage from its then-owner, the C&O/B&O Railroad. The commissioners believed that incorporating the bridge, the last of its kind in the country, into the county's park system would be the most effective way of preserving the landmark. The bridge spans the Little Patuxent River near Savage Mill and has since been restored by the county.
Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.