Harford Mall stores lose power, close

April 10, 1991|By Bruce Reid | Bruce Reid,Evening Sun Staff

An electrical malfunction and small fire at Harford Mall in Bel Air have caused the temporary closing of 14 stores, a mall official said today.

Nancy Brown, a mall marketing official, said the malfunction cut electricity to the 14 stores and caused minor smoke and water damage to a few of them.

The most damage from the malfunction, which occurred about 5 p.m. yesterday, was in Carpet Fair, she said.

The 550,000-square-foot, 65-store mall at U.S. 1 and Md. 24, Harford County's largest, was evacuated and closed after the incident. It reopened on time today, Brown said.

Neither of the two anchor stores, Hecht's and Montgomery Ward, was damaged, she said.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas said the malfunction may have been caused by a power surge in the main electric line. That resulted in an explosion and small fire in a service room, he said.

Thomas said the fire did not reach the interior of any stores or the structure of the mall. No estimate of damage was available.

Brown said the mall management was helping the 14 stores set up shop outside their businesses until power can be restored late today or early tomorrow.

Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. was investigating the malfunction.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.