Sylvia S. Young
Organist, choir director
A Mass of Christian burial for Sylvia S. Young, a retired organist and choir director, will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow in the chapel of St. Martin's Home of the Little Sisters of the Poor, 601 Maiden Choice Lane, Catonsville.
Mrs. Young, who was 82, died Sunday at St. Martin's Home after a long illness.
From 1929 until 1981, she was organist and choir director at St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Church. She was also musical director of the annual passion play, "Veronica's Veil," staged by the parish in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.
From 1965 until she became a resident eight years ago, she did volunteer work at the at St. Martin's Home. She organized the Music Makers, a group of residents that produced shows and appeared at the White House during the Carter administration and also directed a hand bell choir.
In addition, she taught organ to postulants of the Little Sisters of the Poor.
Born Sylvia Stricker in Baltimore, she graduated from what is now the Notre Dame Preparatory School and the College of Notre Dame.
She studied piano at the Peabody Conservatory of Music, graduating in 1928.
Her husband, Norman Young, a retired street car conductor and bus driver for the Baltimore Transit Co., died in 1980.
She is survived by a son, Donald E. Young of Baltimore; and six nieces, Claudia Krizek of Chicago, Camille Appel of Fallston, Carol Cermack of Gaithersburg, Cynthia McCabe of Baltimore, Claire Hull of Forest Hills and Sharon Stricker of Charleston, S.C.
Jean Marie Arp
A memorial service for Jean Marie Arp, who wrote poetry and was fond of the outdoors, especially bird-watching, will be held at 1:30 p.m. today on the South Lawn of the Hampton Mansion.
Mrs. Arp, who was 66 and lived on Belle Forte Road in Randallstown, died Friday at Sinai Hospital of heart failure.
The former Jean Marie Moeller was a native of Sebewaing, Mich., who was raised in Tawas, Mich. She came to the Baltimore area in 1962 from Montgomery, Ala., with her husband, Howard R. Arp, a retired engineer for the Westinghouse Electric Corp.
Author of poetry that was published in various local journals, she attended Catonsville Community College and was a member of the Maryland Poetry Society.
Mrs. Arp also belonged to the Bou-Tem-Sci Club.
In addition to her husband, her survivors include a son, Charles E. Grantham Sr. of Martinez, Calif.; a daughter, Mary Lou Arp-Hamilton of Keyser, W.Va.; and three grandchildren.
The service, if it rains, will be moved inside at the Unitarian-Universalist Church of Towson, 1710 Dulaney Valley Road.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Nature Conservancy in Arlington, Va., or to the National Audubon Society in New York City.
Rev. W. J. Scally
A Mass of Christian burial for the Rev. William J. Scally, who was pastor of three area churches during his career, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Johns the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, Ritchie Highway and Cypress Creek Road in Severna Park.
Father Scally, who was 77, died Sunday of heart failure at the home of a sister on Avondale Circle in Severna Park where he lived for about three years.
He retired about seven years ago as pastor of St. Luke's Church in Edgemere after serving that parish for about 10 years.
He earlier was pastor for about five years of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Woodlawn. He also had been pastor in the 1960s of St. Mary's Church in Pylesville.
Ordained in 1940, he was first assigned to St. Brigid's Church in Baltimore, where he became administrator of the parish before being assigned to the Pylesville church.
Born in Baltimore, Father Scally was educated at St. Mary Star of the Sea School, St. Charles College, St. Mary's Seminary and the Catholic University in Washington.
He was a member of Opus Dei and the Knights of Columbus.
He is survived by two sisters, Genevieve Staines and Agnes Green, both of Severna Park; a brother, John F. Scally of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.