Victims Of I-95 Accident Monday Remain In Hospital

April 07, 1991|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff writer

The drivers of two cars that collided on Interstate 95 near AberdeenMonday remain at University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

State police are continuing their investigation into the accident that killed three people when a car heading south on I-95 crossed into the northbound lanes and collided with another car.

Cpl. Bruce W. Diehl, spokesman at the JFK Highway State Police barracks, declined to comment on details of the accident or the investigation. No criminal charges nor traffic citations have been filed asa result of the accident.

The crash occurred at 10:35 a.m. when aFord Probe driven by Anthony W. Haywood Sr., 22, crossed a grassy median into the northbound lanes and collided head-on into a car drivenby Arthur H. Voight, 78, of Queens Village, N.Y., police said.

A tour bus carrying 45 students and chaperons from California was traveling behind Voight's Chevrolet Celebrity, police said. The bus drivertried to swerve around the car, but struck the car in the rear.

The bus then went off the right side of the road and down an embankment, police said. One injury, a broken ankle, was reported.

Two passengers in Voight's car, his wife, Georgiana Voight, 76, and their grandson, John C. Hinojosa, 22, of Herndon, Va., were killed instantly, police said.

Haywood's 18-month-old son, Andrew Jr., was thrown from the car, police said. He was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital, where he later died.

Emergency rescue workers at the scene said there could have been more injuries had the bus not remained upright as it went off the highway and down the embankment.

Voight and Haywood were flown to University Hospital's shock trauma unit. Voight is inserious and stable condition. Haywood is in fair condition, a hospital spokesman said.

Investigators said Haywood was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time of the collision, according to an accident report. The exact rate of speed has not been determined. Police cited Haywood's failure to stay in his lane and negligent driving as the primary causes of the accident, the report said.

Investigators took blood samples to determine the blood-alcohol content of both drivers but test results are unavailable yet.

Monday's accident was similar to one 12 miles north in Cecil County three days earlier when a car traveling south crossed over a grassy median and into the northbound lanes. Five people were killed in that accident, police said.

Transportation officials hope to line the interstate with guardrails by 1992.

About one-third of all fatal accidents on I-95 since 1988 have involved vehicles crossing the median, according to statistics from the state Transportation Authority.The JFK Highway barracks, which patrols nearly 50 miles of northeastern segment of the highway, investigated 463 accidents, including 10 with fatalities, in 1990.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.