Funding OK'd to finish construction at Savage Mill

March 29, 1991|By Edward Gunts

A development team headed by Jay Winer has obtained financing to begin construction of the third and final phase of historic Savage Mill, the antiques- and crafts-oriented retail complex that is being created inside a former textile mill in Howard County.

Gov. William Donald Schaefer announced that a $2.1 million financing package has been approved for the project and that work will begin next month. Part of the package is a $600,000 loan provided by the Howard County Office of Economic Development through the Maryland Industrial and Commercial Redevelopment Fund.

"This is one of the most exciting developments we have in Maryland," the governor said. "It shows what can be done when creative people at the state and local level work together with the private sector."

Just off U.S. 1 halfway between Baltimore and Washington, Savage Mill was built in 1820 to make canvas sails for Baltimore clipper ships and other vessels on the Chesapeake Bay. Mr. Winer's group, the Savage Mill Limited Partnership, began recycling it in 1984. When complete, it will have 150,000 square feet of renovated space housing 350 tenants offering antiques, arts, specialty shopping and dining.

Plans for the latest phase call for renovation of 70,000 square feet of space in the mill's old weave room, spinning building and carding building.

Among the additions will be Antique Center III, a space for about 100 antique dealers who will join the 100 already at the mill; a full-service restaurant and banquet facility with on-site catering service; and space for artisans in weaving, pottery, neon, stained glass and native American arts and crafts.

Construction is slated for completion by mid-1993.

All existing merchants and services will be open throughout the renovation period.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.