UMBC needs late goals to fend off VMI, 10-8

March 24, 1991|By Mike Preston

Midfielders Brian Lamey and Sam Walker each scored a goal in the last period, as the University of Maryland Baltimore County defeated a stubborn Virginia Military Institute, 10-8, yesterday in the UMBC Tournament final.

An emotional VMI team (2-2) controlled the tempo at times an had managed an 8-8 tie at the end of the third period.

But Lamey scored a transition goal on an assist from fellow attackman Matt Pfeiler with 11 minutes, 34 seconds left in the game to put the Retrievers ahead, 9-8. Walker scored with 4 minutes, 54 seconds remaining to secure the victory.

UMBC coach Dick Watts was less than pleased, despite the win. The Retrievers rode soft most of the day, were too slow to capitalize on wide-open shots and failed several times to pick up players after screens and picks.

Several times during the first quarter, Watts didn't know if h was coaching UMBC or last year's Syracuse team, which used an assortment of behind-the-back passes and goals.

"Maybe we've been watching Syracuse too much," Watts said. "I'm still not pleased with our basic, fundamental lacrosse. There were opportunities for us to put the ball in, and we just didn't get it done. Give VMI credit too; they played well and hustled all over the field.

"We're lucky to come out of this one alive," Watts said. "It wasn' pretty in any sense of the word. But the bright side of this is that we're 4-1 and we haven't been 4-1 since the Mayflower came over."

The Retrievers came out yesterday a little overconfident. Also the steady rain and muddy field neutralized UMBC's quickness, one of its biggest assets.

VMI jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first eight minutes of th game on goals by William Coleman and Tim Ervin. UMBC countered with three in the remaining time for a 3-2 first-quarter lead.

UMBC had a 5-3 lead midway in the second quarter, but VM refused to quit. The Keydets were also lucky. They scored twice in the remaining time on shots that were blocked by UMBC goalie Bob Bailey, but the balls then became stuck in the mud just outside the crease. The second goal, from Ervin, came in the last minute of the second period and tied the game, 6-6.

"I thought we controlled the tempo most of the game, even in th first quarter, when we came out and tried all that fancy stuff," Pfeiler said. "But it was frustrating to work so hard, then give up one of those cheesy goals and lose all the momentum.

"But once we started concentrating, things worked out well, Pfeiler said.


Ohio State 7, Radford 6

Sophomore attackman David Blue scored the game-winning goal with seven seconds left to lead Ohio State in the UMBC Tournament consolation game.

Midfielder Stephen Curtis and attackman Brian Williams led Ohi State (2-1) with two goals each. Radford remained winless in five games.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.