Easton woman dies in fire at home after delaying her escape

March 24, 1991|By Elise Armacost

A 23-year-old Easton woman died late Friday in a fire tha started after she left some cooking oil heating unattended on the kitchen stove.

Dana Lynn Krumwied, a native of West Chester, Pa., had moved to her two-story duplex in the 300 block of Maple Avenue just one month ago, said Bob Thomas, deputy chief state fire marshal.

The fire started about 11:15 p.m., Mr. Thomas said, when Ms. Krumwied and her 21-year-old boyfriend, Victor Joseph Brown, forgot about some cooking oil heating on the stove. After the oil ignited, Ms. Krumwied went to an upstairs bedroom to call police and change her clothes while Mr. Brown tried to put out the fire.

The fire spread quickly, and Ms. Krumwied apparently died of smoke inhalation, Mr. Thomas said.

Firefighters found her body on the bedroom floor near a window, he said.

Mr. Brown, who lived with Ms. Krumwied, was treated for smoke inhalation at Memorial Hospital in Easton.

Twenty-five Easton firefighters, called to the scene at 11:26 p.m., worked for 20 minutes to bring the fire under control, Mr. Thomas said.

He estimated damage to the house at about $50,000.

Cooking fires are the most common type of residential house fire in Maryland, with about 2,000 annually, Mr. Thomas said.

"Both Mr. Brown and the victim initially were within 5 to 7 feet of a door and could have easily escaped," Mr. Thomas said. "Where she made her fatal mistake was going to the second floor."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.