Man Pleads Guilty To Crofton Rape

March 21, 1991|By Staff report

A Severna Park man has pleaded guilty to a rape that occurred amid aseries of violent crimes that stunned the middle-class community of Crofton last September.

Stanley Glenwood Prout, 29, pleaded guiltyTuesday in county Circuit Court to first-degree rape and burglary, said Assistant State's Attorney Ronald M. Naditch.

Prout followed a female bartender home from her job, broke into her Crofton Mews town house and raped her 39-year-old roommate Sept. 16, 1990, the prosecutor said.

That attack occurred at about 4:10 a.m., just hours before another Crofton woman was the victim of an unrelated rape, police have said.

That day, another Crofton woman wasreported missing. The body of Gwyn Dixon Criswell was found later that day, and a suspect was charged with her murder.

The crimes shocked the community of 16,000. Residents reacted by starting neighborhood security patrols.

Prout also pleaded guilty to breaking and entering, three counts of forgery and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, Naditch said.

The charge of first-degree rape carries a maximumpenalty of life in prison.

But under a plea agreement that calls for prosecutors to recommend a sentence of no more than 25 years for the rape and for the sentences for some of the other crimes to be served concurrently, Prout will likely be sentenced to 40 to 60 years inprison, the prosecutor said.

Sentencing is scheduled for May 17. Prout remains at the county Detention Center in lieu of $50,000 bond.

Naditch said Prout pleaded guilty to a string of crimes that commenced three days before the rape.

He said Prout stole checks from a roommate and cashed them and also took a roommate's car keys and used his car without permission.

On the night of the rape, Prout meta bartender at the Shangri-La bar in Severna Park.

He followed the bartender to her house in the 2400 block of Vineyard Lane, knocked on the door and asked to use the phone, Naditch said.

The bartender asked Prout to leave but he returned within a half-hour and broke into the house, the prosecutor said.

Naditch said Prout tied up thebartender's roommate -- perhaps mistaking her for the bartender -- threatened her with a screwdriver and raped her.

The victim drove to Anne Anne Arundel Medical Center after the attack, where she was treated and released.

When questioned by police, Prout admitted to the forgery and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and admitted goingto the town house. However, he denied breaking into the house and raping the woman, Naditch said.

But, the prosecutor said, DNA testing showed a match between Prout's blood and semen and that recovered from the victim.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.