Helen A. Cooper, Baltimore teacher, dies at 79
Services for Helen A. Cooper, a retired Baltimore teacher, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Mrs. Cooper, who was 79 and lived in the Hopkins House Apartments, died Saturday in a hospital at Nairobi, Kenya, of heart failure following an infection.
She had been visiting a daughter in Nairobi for three months and had been a volunteer teacher in an adult literacy course there.
She retired 12 years ago as a reading specialist at the Robert Poole Junior High School, after teaching there and at the Garrison Junior High School for more than 15 years. During the late 1950s, she taught at the Bais Yaakov School for Girls.
At her retirement, she established an annual award at Robert Poole for improvement in reading, and she also was financing the education of two children in Kenya. The family suggested memorial contributions to a fund to continue that support.
The former Helen Adler was a native of New York City who was reared in Ridgefield, N.J. She came to Baltimore in 1944 with her husband, Samuel L. Cooper, who retired as a liquor salesman before his death nearly a year ago.
A graduate of New York University who did graduate work at the Johns Hopkins University, she was a member of the National Reading Association, the Remedial Reading Association and other teachers' organizations.
She is survived by a son, Stuart B. Cooper of Columbia; a daughter, Barbara R. Steenstrup of Nairobi; a sister, Sylvia Fennell of San Francisco; a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Rebecca L. Besson; a son-in-law, Viggio Steenstrup; and two grandchildren.
Lois F. Hynes
Services for Lois F. Hynes, who lived in Arnold for nearly 20 years, will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at the Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road, Severna Park.
Mrs. Hynes, who was 67, died of cancer Saturday at her home.
A charter member of the Colts Corral No. 33 fan club in Arnold, she also was fond of raising house plants, doing needlework and dancing.
The former Lois F. Lynch was a native of Salisbury and a graduate of the Wicomico High School. She moved to West Baltimore after her marriage in 1940 to Edward Hynes, who died more than a year ago. They lived in Dundalk before moving to Arnold.
She is survived by two daughters, Mildred Wentz of Jessup and Mary Bodnar of Chester; four sons, Edward A. Hynes of Baltimore, John Hynes of Dundalk, William Hynes of Essex and Norman Hynes of Arnold; and 12 grandchildren.
Frank C. Kraft
Services for Frank C. Kraft, a retired yardman and truck driver for lumber companies, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Lassahn Funeral Home, 7401 Belair Road.
Mr. Kraft, who was 88, died Saturday of heart failure at his home in Kingsville.
He retired in 1986 from the Lumberjack, in Baynesville, and also worked earlier in the yard of the O'Connor Lumber Co. in Essex and the Lee Lumber Co. in Baltimore.
Before entering the lumber business, he had been a cabdriver and a brewery worker.
A driver for 66 years, he never had an accident or received a ticket.
The Baltimore native served in the Army during World War II.
He had been a member of St. James Lutheran Church in Overlea since his childhood.
His wife, the former Evelyn Dietz, died in 1971, but Mr. Kraft is survived by many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.
The Earl of Cromer, 74, former British ambassador to Washington and governor of the Bank of England, died Saturday. He fell ill at his London home Friday. Born George Rowland Stanley Baring, Lord Cromer came from a family of bankers and diplomats. One of his grandfathers was viceroy of India and the other was a consul-general in Egypt. Lord Cromer was appointed Britain's envoy to Washington in 1971 and served during the Nixon administration until 1974.
Beverly Raney, 84, chairman emeritus of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill medical school, died Thursday after a brief illness. He was the first chairman of the school's orthopedic division, a position he held from 1952 to 1967.