Baltimore CityARRESTS: Western District -- Police arrested...


March 18, 1991|By reporter Richard Irwin from police records in the Baltimore area yesterday and today.

Baltimore City

ARRESTS: Western District -- Police arrested three people early Saturday inside the station when they became involved in an altercation with two officers after the arrest of a relative on a minor charge. Police said Garland Cason, 23, of the 1000 block of Pennsylvania Ave., was arrested Saturday evening for failing to obey a lawful order by a policeman. Shortly before 10 p.m., three of Cason's relatives arrived at the station at Riggs Avenue and Mount Street to protest the arrest. Police said the three people became disorderly and attacked Officer Steven Sturm with his own flashlight when he asked them to leave. They also assaulted Officer James Rogers. Police said the incident ended when Sturm drew his revolver. Police said Sturm was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he received several stitches to close a cut. Police said Robert Cason, 40, of the 800 block of Brooks Lane; and Sean Cason and Angel Anderson, both 22 and of the 1800 block of W. North Ave., were charged with assault with intent to murder and related offenses. Police said Robert and Sean Cason were held over the weekend in lieu of $5,000 bond each and that Anderson was released on her own recognizance. Garland Cason later appeared before a District Court commissioner, who released him on his own recognizance.

STABBING: Eastern District -- Police have charged a City Jail inmate with stabbing another inmate during a fight Friday evening. Police said John Wilson, 28, who is being held at the jail while awaiting trial on narcotics charges, was charged with stabbing Eric Black, 27, with a homemade knife in a hall outside the dining room. Police said Black was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was treated for multiple stab wounds and was listed today in good condition. Police said Black was in jail awaiting trial on three counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault and two deadly weapon violations. Police said the fight was broken up by guards who found the knife on the hallway floor. Police said no other inmates were involved in the stabbing and that order was immediately restored by jail personnel. Police said they knew no motive for the fight.

POLICE CAR THEFT: Southeastern District -- Police reported that while an officer was investigating an altercation inside a tavern on Eastern Avenue early Saturday, someone drove off with his radio car. They said Officer Vincent L. Biondo, 32, left the engine of his unattended patrol car running while he responded to an incident in front of an Eastern Avenue tavern. Police said that, after he took care of the situation, someone asked Biondo to investigate a fight at a bar nearby. Biondo

reported later that when he returned to his car, he discovered that someone had driven it away. Biondo used his portable radio to report the theft. About a half-hour later, police patrolling near // the railroad tracks along Ralls Avenue near the Dundalk Marine Terminal found the cruiser. Police said the one of the car's tires was flat and its undercarriage was damaged. It was not immediately known if any police equipment kept in the car was stolen.

VANDALISM: Southwestern District -- Police reported that someone siphoned about 500 gallons of fuel oil from a tank behind a firehouse in the 3100 block of W. North Ave. Saturday afternoon and dumped it into a stream in Leakin Park. Police said firefighters from Engine Company 20 responded to a report of oil floating in a stream in the park off the 1600 block of Franklintown Road and traced the oil back to the fuel tank outside their firehouse. Police said the theft of the oil occurred while the firefighters were responding to a call and that the spill, which was cleaned up, caused little damage to the stream.

ARSON: Northern District -- Police reported that someone set fire to the wooden fire escape of a three-story apartment building in the 5200 block of York Road yesterday afternoon, forcing more than two dozen tenants to flee. No injuries were reported. Police said they have no suspects or motive in the fire, which was started after someone poured a flammable liquid onto the fire escape shortly after 4 p.m. Police said the flames broke out while many of the residents were watching the NCAA basketball tournament on TV. Police said the fire caused extensive damage to the building and that many of the residents lost all their possessions. Police said some of tenants were taken in by friends and relatives, while the Red Cross was finding shelter for others.

ASSAULT: Northeastern District -- Bernard Backmon, of the 1800 block of Maulsby Court, reported that while he was attempting to break up a fight between two youths near his home Saturday night, one of the combatants struck him over the head with a piece of pipe. Police said a teen-age male was arrested and charged as a juvenile with aggravated assault. Police said Backmon sustained a minor head injury and refused medical treatment.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.