Clara M. Dixon Teacher and volunteer

February 28, 1991

Clara M. Dixon, a lifelong resident of Calvert County who spent her life educating and helping others, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Feb. 7 at St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown. She was 78 and lived in Olivet.

Miss Dixon began her high school teaching career a few years after the Depression in the county where she was born. Her career took her to schools in Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties before she retired from Glen Burnie High School in 1973.

An English teacher, she established the school libraries at Glen Burnie High School and Northeast High School, also in Arundel.

A product of Calvert County public schools, she graduated with honors from the University of Maryland and completed her graduate work in library science at the University of North Carolina.

A church treasurer for 40 years, she was a trustee and active member of the administrative board of Olivet United Methodist Church. She also spent six summers helping to establish Manidokan, the first United Methodist Camp in the Baltimore Conference.

In addition, she was an active member and four-year president of the Calvert Retired Teachers Association and a member and officer of the Epsilon Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, an honor society for teachers.

Among the first volunteers who established the Calvert Marine Museum in the early 1970s, she was recently honored for 20 years of service.

Miss Dixon is survived by three sisters, Cora Dixon and Erma Mister of Olivet and Alma Kraft of Baltimore, and by many nieces and nephews.

The family suggests contributions to Olivet United Methodist Church Building Fund, 1031 Church Road, Lusby, 20657, or to the Calvert Marine Society, Box 97, Solomons, 20688.

Services were held Feb. 10 at Olivet United Methodist Church.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.