The following area servicemen recently completed military basic training:
* Pvt. Valerie M. Reed, daughter of Bette and Henry Lee of Pensacola, Fla., completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C. Her husband,David, is the son of Willie Reed of Glen Burnie.
* Marine Pvt. William A. Weeks, son of David A. and Patricia M. Weeks of Crownsville, completed training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C. He is a 1990 graduate of Old Mill Senior High School.
* Army National Guard Pfc. Thomas L. Chapman, son of Susan L. Chapman of Severn, completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C. The private is a 1990 graduate of Meade Senior High School.
* Navy Seaman Richard B. Simpkins, son of Richard E. and Drusilla E. Simpkins of Odenton, completed training at Recruit Training Command, Orlando, Fla. He is a 1990 graduate of Arundel Senior High School.
* Army Reserve Pvt. Vicki L. Woolford, daughter of Beverly A. and John M. Justice of Pasadena, completed training at Fort Jackson, S.C. The private is a 1990 graduate of Old Mill High School.
COMMANDANT LISTS KUBIK ANDNOWAK
Cadets Jeffrey B. Kubik and Gregory E. Nowak have been placed on the Commandant's List for military excellence at the U.S. AirForce Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
To be named to the list, cadets must have a 3.0 or better grade point and military performance averages at the end of the spring or fall semester.
The mission ofthe academy is to provide instruction and experience to all cadets so that they graduate with the knowledge and character essential to leadership and the motivation to become career officers in the Air Force.
Kubik is the son of Bernard J. and Bernadine Kubik of Glen Burnie. He is a 1989 graduate of Glen Burnie High School.
Nowak is theson of Eugene E. and Anne K. Nowak of Annapolis. He is a 1990 graduate of St. Mary's High School.
AIR FORCE'S GONCZY HONORED WITH MEDAL
Air Force Technical Sgt. Louis M. Gonczy Jr. has been decorated with the Air Force Achievement Medal.
The medal is awarded to airmen for meritorious acts of courage, or other outstanding accomplishments.
He is an avionic system technician at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
The sergeant is the son of Elizabeth M. Gonczy of Morocco, Ind., and brother of Elizabeth Boyd of Glen Burnie.
JONES GRADUATES THE BASIC SCHOOL
Marine 2nd Lt. John W. Jones, son of Ruth V. Jones of Friendship and Melvin M. Jones of Tracy's Landing, graduated from The Basic School.
While attending The Basic School, at the Marine Corps Combat Development Command, Quantico, Va. Jones was prepared as a newly commissioned officer for assignment to the Fleet Marine Force.
The 26-week course includes instruction on land navigation, marksmanship, tactics, military law, personnel administration and the techniques of military instruction.
Jones was also taught leadership by example and the importance of teamwork. He was also required to participate in a demanding physical conditioning program.
He is a 1986 graduate of Southern Senior High School and a 1990 graduate of theU.S. Naval Academy.
MARTIN COMPLETES OPERATING COURSE
Army National Guard Pvt. Faydra A. Martin has completed Phase I operating roomspecialist course at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas.
Phase I training consisted of the principles and methods of sterilization, basic anatomy and physiology, identification and care of surgical instruments, sutures, needles and blades. Also included were transport and positioning of patients and handling of specimens.
Phase II training will be on-the-job experience in a clinical setting at one or more of the Army's 16 medical training facilities.
She is the daughter of Sherry Glascox and stepdaughter of Doug Glascox of Pasadena.
Martin's father, Ted Martin and stepmother, Norma Martin, reside inBaltimore.
MEDFORD PROMOTED TO A SENIOR AIRMAN
Daniel B. Medford has been promoted in the Air Force to the rank of senior airman.
The airman is a radio communications analysis specialist at Clark Air Base, Angeles City, Philippines.
Medford is the son of John R. and June W. Medford of Gambrills.
His wife, Annie, is the daughter of John E. and Mary L. Hoffman of Crownsville.
He is a 1983 graduate of Arundel Senior High School.
SGT. SEUL SR. EARNS ACHIEVEMENT MEDAL
Staff Sgt. Timothy B. Seul Sr. has been decorated with the Army Achievement Medal.
The medal is awarded to soldiers for meritorious service, acts of courage or other outstanding accomplishments.
He is an operations non-commissioned officer at Nelson Kaserne, Germany.
Seul is the son of Col. and Mrs. Locher Bibb of Nashville, Tenn.
His wife, Phyllis, is the daughter of Goldie M. Stevens of Fort Meade.
2ND LT. JONES ENDS SIGNAL OFFICER CLASS
Second Lt. Michelle M. Jones has graduated from the battalion/brigade signal officer course at Fort Sill, Okla.