Allies launch all-out invasion Offensive starts hours after Iraq rejected deadline WAR IN THE GULF

MASSIVE LAND ATTACK

February 24, 1991|By Robert Ruby | Robert Ruby,Sun Staff Correspondent

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- The U.S.-led coalition launched an all-out ground campaign against Iraq early today, moving forces by land, sea and air eight hours after a deadline passed for Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait, military officials said.

The invasion of Iraqi-held territory appeared to begin about 4 a.m. (8 p.m. EST) to give U.S. infantry and amphibious forces the cover of darkness in what a Pentagon official described as a "massive ground operation." U.S. and Iraqi artillery were said to be exchanging heavy fire along the Saudi-Kuwaiti border as allied aircraft carried out intensive air strikes.

Defense Secretary Dick Cheney said at a Pentagon briefing that Iraq probably remained confused by a military operation he described as "extremely complex." He announced a blackout on all information regarding the campaign to prevent Iraq from gaining any knowledge of allied movements.

U.S. forces began moving after armored units plowed through barriers to open the way for infantry, tanks and artillery to pour into Iraqi-held territory. Allied aircraft carried out a record number of bombing missions in and around Kuwait in the hours leading up to the invasion, targeting Iraq's best-equipped units.

President Bush said he authorized Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of coalition forces, to use "all forces available, including ground forces," to launch an operation that the president said would be carried out "swiftly and decisively."

Earlier, Pentagon officials said reports from the United Nations that Iraq was willing to accept at least some of the conditions set by President Bush were never reflected in the actions by Iraqi troops inside Kuwait. Rear Adm. Mike McConnell, the Pentagon's chief of intelligence, said, "We have seen no movement at all."

The timing of the assault appeared to be influenced by allegations that Iraq was carrying out summary executions of Kuwaiti civilians and systematically destroying the country's oil industry and drinking-water plants.

While officers in Saudi Arabia said yesterday that they continued to follow well-established battle plans, the pace of operations had accelerated throughout the day and appeared to be influenced by the allegations of Iraqi atrocities.

Marine Brig. Gen. Richard I. Neal, the U.S. military spokesman in Riyadh, said at a briefing that executions had begun within the last two days and were directed against civilians stopped at random as well as against people who had been interrogated in the past.

The reports of executions came one day after the military command said Iraq was setting fires to Kuwait's oil wells and destroying shipping terminals and other facilities, evidence that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was carrying out a threat to keep Kuwait or destroy it.

Fires were reported burning at 200 wellheads, 50 more than the day before, and at high-pressure wells that could require weeks or months to burn themselves out. They spewed black smoke that colored skies a sickly gray as far away as the Emirate of Qatar, more than 300 miles to the south, and produced a thin rain of soot.

Smoke could hamper helicopters and aircraft assigned to support infantry by striking Iraqi tanks and artillery, but General Neal suggested that allied forces could avoid the affected areas and maintained that there would no significant impact on ground operations.

At least some of the smoke came from allied jets dropping napalm to set fire to trenches filled with oil. The military command was counting on being able to burn off the oil to undo Iraq's strategy of using the trenches to trap an invasion force.

The command meanwhile released new estimates of the effects of around-the-clock air strikes against Iraqi units. General Neal said the equipment destroyed included the following:

* 1,685 tanks, 39 percent of the estimated total of 4,200 tanks in and around Kuwait.

* More than 1,485 artillery pieces, 48 percent of the estimated total of 3,200.

* 925 armored personnel carriers, 32 percent of the estimated total of 2,800.

Those figures reflect the Pentagon's admission that some of its earlier counts of destroyed vehicles were too high.

After intelligence agencies objected to the original numbers, aides to General Schwarzkopf, the overall allied commander, agreed that some vehicles previously counted as tanks were in fact trucks and revised their earlier numbers.

The damage is not evenly distributed among the Iraqi units in the field. General Neal said some may have lost as much as 90 percent of their equipment while others may have lost only 10 percent.

"Obviously, every tank, every artillery piece, every APC [armored personnel carrier] destroyed, we're very pleased with," he said.

Iraq's losses in tanks and artillery may be higher than the latest figures because of the Iraqis' presumed inability to carry out repairs or even routine maintenance during more than five weeks of allied bombing, officers said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.