Charles Henry Wenger Sr., a former Baltimore City Council member and businessman, died Jan. 27 at his Anne Arundel County home of complications to diabetes and arteriosclerosis. He was 74.
After operating his own ice business for 18 years, the South Baltimore native represented the Baltimore City Council's 6th District from 1947 to 1951.
For many years, Mr. Wenger and his wife, the former Margaret Johnson, also owned and managed Wenger's Tap Room restaurant and bar at Fort Avenue and Henry Street before selling it in the mid-1960s.
Among Mr. Wenger's other interests, he was associated with Flynn and Fleming Funeral Home of South Baltimore and was the owner of the J. Harrison Whitehurst Co., a small medicine manufacturing firm he closed in 1967.
When he retired in 1978, he was chief licensing inspector for the Maryland State Racing Commission, a post he held for about 11 years.
Mr. Wenger, a Sunset Beach resident since 1965, had belonged to numerous organizations. He had been a member of the South Baltimore Businessmen Association; a charter member and vice president of the Gittings Pleasure Club; president of the Lake Shore Democratic Club; a board member of the Orchard Beach Fire Department and the Sunset Beach Improvement Association; and a member of the board of advisers for Anne Arundel's Department of Parks and Recreation.
In addition to his wife of 59 years, survivors include a daughter, Shirley Wenger Thomas of Pasadena; a son, Charles H. Wenger Jr. of Riviera Beach; a sister, Margaret Wenger Schier of &L Linthicum; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
A Mass of Resurrection for Mr. Wenger was celebrated Jan. 30 at St. Jane Frances de Chantal Roman Catholic Church.