Two children killed as fire destroys home * 3 rescued, 9 escape Abbotston St. blaze.

February 15, 1991|By Frank D. Roylance and William B. Talbott | Frank D. Roylance and William B. Talbott,Evening Sun Staff

Two children died today, three people were rescued and nine others escaped injury in a two-alarm fire that destroyed their home near City College.

Killed in the fire in the 1500 block of Abbotston St. were David Parson Jr., 3, and his brother, Montee Robbins, 7, who were found in a second-floor bedroom by firefighters responding to the 6:30 a.m. blaze.

David was pronounced dead at Union Memorial Hospital. Montee was pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Hospital, fire officials said.

The boys' grandfather, John C. Vinson, 62, who owns the house, was unable to escape by an inside stairway and suffered a fractured wrist and lacerations of his arm when he jumped from a second-floor window.

Fire officials said the fire apparently started in the kitchen of the three-story brick duplex, and may have been caused by an electrical problem.

There was no immediate estimate of the damages. Only the walls of the house were left standing. An adjoining house escaped serious fire damage.

The deaths brought the number of fire fatalities this year to 7, compared with 5 at this time last year, fire officials said.

All 14 people in the house were members of one family, and some were aided in their escape by a neighbor, George Carolina, 52, who lives across the street.

Carolina said he sent Burgess to call 911, while he entered the side door of the burning house. He climbed to the second floor, but was blocked by smoke and flames.

However, John Vinson passed him on the stairs and entered the second floor. He later became trapped and had to jump from a window.

Carolina said he went back outside and climbed a small tree to get onto a porch roof. He broke a second-floor window and suffered cuts on both hands, but was able to pull out two children, and drop them to two men on the ground.

Next, he helped a woman escape from the fire, and helped her slide down the tree to the ground. Nine other family members were able to escape the fire without injury.

Two firefighters also were injured. One was taken to Union Memorial Hospital with a back injury sustained in a 10-foot fall when a stair railing gave way as he carried a hose to the second floor. Another firefighter was treated for an ankle injury.

No other injuries were reported.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.