John R. Richardson Mapmaker for Army

February 12, 1991

Services for John R. Richardson, a retired official of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Topographic Laboratory at Fort Belvoir, Va., and a resident of Ellicott City, will be held at 9 a.m. today at the Fort Myer Chapel at Arlington National Cemetery.

Mr. Richardson, who was 78 and moved from Alexandria, Va., to the Heartlands Retirement Community about two years ago, died Thursday at the Bon Secours Extended Care Facility after a long illness.

At his retirement in 1972, he was associate technical director and chief of plans and operations for the Army mapmaking facility. He had begun his career in Army mapmaking in 1935 and was a civilian employee, except during World War II when he was an officer in the Corps of Engineers. He was a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve.

Born in Sherman, Texas, he earned a civil engineering degree at the Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1934.

He was a member of the American Society of Photogrammetry and the Society of Military Engineers.

In Virginia, he was a member of the Alexandria Coin Club, Little Theater, the Arlington Cotillion and the Alexandria Association.

He is survived by his wife, the former Claire Mebane; two daughters, Nancy Timer of Columbia and Sally Walsh of Seoul, South Korea; a brother, Thomas Richardson of Sherman; two sisters, Marie Payne of Sherman and Gloy Henry of Denison, Texas; and eight grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.