Marian P. Steuart, heritage society founder

February 11, 1991

Marian Price Steuart, a retired state worker and founder of th Kent Island Heritage Society, died Thursday at Anne Arundel Medical Center after a long illness. She was 87.

Services for Mrs. Steuart were being held today at Christ Episcopal Church in Stevensville.

Born on Kent Island, Mrs. Steuart graduated from Stevensville High School in 1920.

She lived on the Eastern Shore her entire life, working as a store clerk at Frampton's IGA and Blum's Variety Store in Stevensville. Later, she owned a restaurant and served as a justice of the peace on Kent Island. During World War II, she worked in a munitions plant in Chestertown.

Mrs. Steuart retired in 1967 after working 13 years in the income tax division of the state comptroller's office.

She was a lifelong member of Christ Episcopal Church, where she sang in the choir, served on the vestry for several terms and taught Sunday school in the past.

She founded the Kent Island Heritage Society and served as curator of the Cray House in Stevensville for many years. She helped get the Cray House on the National Register of Historical Sites and placed Stevensville on the National Register of Historic Districts.

In 1978, Mrs. Steuart received the Queen Anne's County Outstanding Citizen Award. In 1987, she was named to the county Court of Honor by the historical society for outstanding contributions to the community.

Mrs. Steuart's first husband, Julian Hardesty, died in 1960. Her second husband, Lloyd Loftus Steuart, died in 1981.

Mrs. Steuart is survived by two stepdaughters, Constance A. pTC Parkinson of Odenton and D. Jean Fulbright of Annapolis; five grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Kent Island Heritage Society or the Anne Arundel Hospice.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.