Mother Nature gave us a pleasant break this week that is supposed tocontinue through the weekend. The warm temperatures are a well-needed break from winter, but not a great comfort to those suffering fromthe latest flu bug.
The body count at our house was not too bad, compared to reports from friends and neighbors. We seemed to fade oneat a time instead of a mass pileup that tests the limits of family togetherness.
If your household has been spared the bug, watch out. It's out there just waiting for you. While flu shots work, I think next flu season I'll just invest in garlic necklaces or maybe make a human sacrifice or two.
Orchard Beach Volunteer Fire Department is sponsoring a Valentine's Day Dance from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Thursday at the hall, located off Solley Road.
Tickets are $8 per person and will include beer and setups.
Music for dancing will be provided by Night Life.
For ordering information, call 437-3496.
The George Fox Middle School PTA is sponsoring an Operation Desert Storm Family Night at 7 p.m., Feb. 19, at the school on Outing Avenue.
Representatives from the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and several elected officials will attend.
Refreshments will be served. Donations of cakes or other goodies are needed for the evening.
For more details, call the school, 437-5514.
Lake Shore Athletic Association will have registration for girls softball and tee ball from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow at Lake Shore Elementary School. Additional registration dates are Feb. 16 and 23.
The program is open to girls ages 5 to 16. Younger girls, ages 5 to 7, can participate in the tee ball program.
The registration fee is $30 for one child, $40 for two or more from the same family. A $5 LSAA annual membership fee is required.
Need more details? Call Terry Colebrook, at 437-4122.
Congregations and parishes in the Pasadena area invite you to participate in the beginning of the Lenten season next week:
* Community United Methodist Church will have its annual Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper from 4 to 7 p.m. The supper, cooked and served by the United Methodist Men, will include pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs and spiced apples.
The cost is $4.50 for adults, $2.50 for children ages 6 to 12. There will be no charge for children under 5.
Ash Wednesday Services at Community UMC will begin at 7 p.m.
* Emmanual Lutheran is sponsoring a pancake supper from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday evening. Ash Wednesday services will be at 7:30 p.m., with imposition of ashes and Holy Communion.
* The youth group at Galilee Lutheran will be serving pancakes on Tuesday evening at 6:30 p.m. at the church.The 7:30 p.m. Ash Wednesday service will include imposition of ashesand Holy Communion.
* Wednesday evening's service at Magothy United Methodist Church will take place at 7:30 p.m. and will include placing of ashes and Communion.
* Mount Carmel United Methodist Church has scheduled Ash Wednesday Service at 7:30 p.m. with Communion andashes.
* Our Lady of the Chesapeake Church has scheduled masses at 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. Ashes will be distributed after masses.
* The Ash Wednesday Communion Service at Pasadena United Methodist Church on Ritchie Highway will take place at 8 p.m.
* St. Andrews Episcopal Church, on Tick Neck Road, will have services at 10 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. The service will include penitential office, imposition of ashes, sermon and Holy Communion.
* Mass times at St. Jane Frances Church Wednesday are 7 and 8:30 a.m., with distribution of ashes after Mass.
Ashes will also be distributed at noon, 1:45 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Lenten penitents can attend daily evening Mass at 7 p.m. during the season. Stations of the Cross will take place Fridays at 7 p.m.
Looks like we're knee-deep in bull and oyster roast season again. Just pick a date and there will probably be one or two to choose from:
* Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Clubinvites you to its third annual Bull Roast from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., Feb. 23, at Mickey's Altoona Beach. A disk jockey will supply the dancetunes.
Tickets are $19 per person and may be obtained by call Budd Given at 969-1860.
* The Buccaneers Athletic Club is sponsoring a Bull Roast from 1 to 6 p.m. on Feb. 17 at Stoney Creek Democratic Club.
They promised great pit beef, lots of oysters, refreshments and music for dancing by First Class.
Tickets are $20 per person and can be ordered by calling 255-3293.
* Northeast High School Athletic Boosters have scheduled their annual roast from 1 to 6 p.m., Feb. 17, at the Earleigh Heights Fire Hall on Ritchie Highway.
Good food and good music, provided by City Lights, are included in the $22.50 per person ticket price.
For ticket information, call 437-4087.
* Chelsea Beach Rod & Reel Club's roast will take place from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., March 23, at Earleigh Heights Fire Hall.
A full bull-roast menu and music by Masterpiece will be featured.
Tickets are $20 per person and can be ordered by contacting Dick Hopf at 255-3497.